10 things to know

Just to share some of my understanding on keeping sps. Obviously I'm not the most qualified sps reefer, but just thought of sharing this simplified list for sps beginners as it helped me...

1) lighting - T5s are generally sufficient. (average of 6-10 tubes) Try to go for 10-12hrs.. However to bring out best coloration, 250w per 2ft length is recommended. (4hrs) and supplemented with T5s..

2) Ca:420-450, kH:8-8.5, mg: 1200-1300

3) no3/po4 readings (minimum, but don't need to be zero)

4) keep temp around 27 degrees celsius

5) salinity: around 1.024

6) provide good/random wave movement ard sps. use controllable ones if budget allows.

7) ensure good skimming or regular nutrient export (weekly 10% is highly recommended)

8) do prepare salt mix in advance to perform water change anytime u need..

9) prepare for Murphy's visit. Do prepare backup systems to ensure your treasures are safe from power blackouts or sudden outage (especially when you are not at home).

10) the key is to maintain constant parameters for the tank. Avoid making any major drastic adjustments... 10 weeks of 10% weekly water change is not equal to a 100% water change once in 10 weeks.

Disclaimer, everyone's setup is different, and i'm sharing what works for me... And hope it helps you too...

:friends:

Bro Wilson,

Thanks for sharing the info with us! :bow:

Top of my head, I think point 10 in particular related to point 3, in my experience, is the most chanllenging part of keeping SPS. :thumbsup:

In addition, I think "Patient" (and a lot of waiting) is the key to achieving all of the above mentioned.

1. You need to be patient for the tank to mature (In my case > 9 months of waiting time)

- No panic, No rash, No shortcut

2. You need to wait for the system to stablised

- No itchy hands, No messing around, No confusion

3. You need to wait for the right SPS

- No implusive buying only insist on good and healthy SPS.

:groupwavereversed:

fts-022012.JPG

Bro Wilson,

Thanks for sharing the info with us! :bow:

Top of my head, I think point 10 in particular related to point 3, in my experience, is the most chanllenging part of keeping SPS. :thumbsup:

In addition, I think "Patient" (and a lot of waiting) is the key to achieving all of the above mentioned.

1. You need to be patient for the tank to mature (In my case > 9 months of waiting time)

- No panic, No rash, No shortcut

2. You need to wait for the system to stablised

- No itchy hands, No messing around, No confusion

3. You need to wait for the right SPS

- No implusive buying only insist on good and healthy SPS.

:groupwavereversed:

Another great guru sharing his tips! I think this thread really worth the ups and recommendation for all reefers who want to venture into the dark side! :D

Anyway, before I close, so long as your tank parameters etc are stable, no matter how bad the SPS is, you can still be able to revive it. The chances are much higher imo (:

P.S: bro clee, you might want to give us some more pics and reviews on your skimz skimmer yeah! I am looking forward to it (:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.