DIY Aircon Chiller project

rockfish

• SRC Member

Hi Fellow DIYers,

I'm starting a DIY split-unit aircon chiller project with drop-in coils.

However, i'm not too sure where i can get adustable expansion valves so that i can control the temperature at every coil.

Anyone have seen ppls selling or know where to buy?

If You have similar experience on the setting up, please share with me as i have never done DIY project of this scale before.

Thanks!!

ok bro you're looking for thermostat or expansion valve cause each serve different purpose.

and what kind of thermostat you're looking for if it the one u looking for electrical shut valve for gas stop flowing though it? Or off the whole compressor unit???

Please list it down in more specific so we can help you from there....

By the way if you're looking for any Air-con refrigerant parts you may look for Far East refrigerant located at bras bersah after the lavender foodcourt

near to the traffic light....

• SRC Member

ok bro you're looking for thermostat or expansion valve cause each serve different purpose.

and what kind of thermostat you're looking for if it the one u looking for electrical shut valve for gas stop flowing though it? Or off the whole compressor unit???

Please list it down in more specific so we can help you from there....

By the way if you're looking for any Air-con refrigerant parts you may look for Far East refrigerant located at bras bersah after the lavender foodcourt

near to the traffic light....

Hi bro, i'm actually looking for the adustable TXV with a knob to adjust the temperature. Becos if its a thermostat then it will be cutting in and out.. so i rather let the TXV do the flow control.

Of cos i'll have to calibre the TXV Myself for the temperature will not be correct.

OK i'm not an expert of A/C but for the operation and system of component works i know some basic.

1.) An normal expansion valve even for car air-conditioning are the same, like wise they have a temperature sensing bulb that will automatically control

the valve or gas that flow to the coil.

2.) An expansion valve needed is to let the gas from liquid state in high pressure to have a gas form in low pressure to create a chemist reaction

3.) It also preventing the coil from freezing into ice cube, as such once you face valve block this will happen..

What barraCuda said make sense it control the high pressure to the coil and not direct temp control.. at any point that's for mostly freezer usage and not our a/c nor chiller

Why do you not allowing compressor to cut off?? by doing this it'll not save the working of compressor and save your pocket??

and most of all it produce more heat to ur ambient

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member

Hi bros,

I have figured out how to do the linking up with independent controls on each coils.

I'm planning to use copper coil coated with epoxy as a drop-in coil.

Anyone Knows of a suitable epoxy paint suitable for this application?

I'll take some pictures during the setting up to share and a simple write up on the conncetion once its done.

Thanks!!

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member

Hi Guys,

Updates on this project...

i bought some 1hp titanium coils on saturday and arrange for the aircon guys to come link up the system yesterday.

After linking up the system and doing a trial run... new problems..

Aircon guy told me that inverter units cannot just use external controller to control.

Is this true?

Any brother out there doing aircon stuff can give some advice?

• SRC Member

Hi Guys,

Updates on this project...

i bought some 1hp titanium coils on saturday and arrange for the aircon guys to come link up the system yesterday.

After linking up the system and doing a trial run... new problems..

Aircon guy told me that inverter units cannot just use external controller to control.

Is this true?

Any brother out there doing aircon stuff can give some advice?

Its possible but it will defeat the purpose of inverter units.

Inverter works by using VFD to change the speed of the compressor. The compressor is running all the time but changing the speed as the demand changes.

You need to connect the thermostat to the main power source of the aircon and trigger it 100% on or off. You can't enjoy the benefits of inverter units.

• SRC Member

Yeah I was told the same thing... Inverter units should not be used for Marine tank chilling purposes because the inverter unit ( if I recall what my installer told me) is meant to help cut down on electricity when the temperature has been reached ( say you set at 26 degrees to cool a room..) and so the condenser unit is still running continuously to have cold air being blown into the room whereas for a marine tank, the condenser should shut off once the temperature has been reached rather than constantly running.

that's my layman's way of explaining. :P

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

• SRC Member

So as to say, its easier and better using a non-inverter compressor unit than to try to figure out the circuits... rite?

As my compressor is FOC from my brother doing his home renovation, i dun mind buying a non-invertor unit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Thanks everyone for ur input and advise.

Finaly got the chiller working over the weekend after changing the compressor to an non-invertor type.

i'll post the picture with some explaination in the next few days.

• SRC Member

in the main tank.

If put in the sump, the temperature will only be true in the sump and not the main tank.

When put the probe in the main tank, the chiller will continue to cool until the set temp is achieved in the main tank.

• SRC Member

i spend,

$200 x 3 for the titanium coils.

$45 x 3 for controllers.

$420 for 2nd hand compressor with installation.

$250 x 3 for installing the pipings

so total = $600 + $135 + $420 + $750

= $1905

So $1905 is for 3 systems of 0.75 hp chiller.

• Sponsor

i spend,

$45 x 3 for controllers.

= $1905

i got a used Daikin compressor for anyone who wish to DIY.....selling at SGD120 /cash n carry

• SRC Member

i spend,

$45 x 3 for controllers.

= $1905

how much of electrity this chiller is drawing?

eg resun 650CL is drawing 650walts..

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices