Feeding azooxanthellate corals

CFOh

Another good article on azooxanthellate corals feeding courtesy of stonyreef.com

Below txt extracted from stonyreef.com

Going Dark – Feeding azooxanthellate corals

post-9248-0-16529800-1293848823_thumb.jp

Against what may be considered better judgment on my part, I’ve been picking up a few azooxanthellate corals as of late. Having recently plumbed in an additional display area to the main tank, it needed to be filled with something. Some of the current resources available (articles / info from Stottlemire, Kallmeyer, Torsten, Matthews, Dame, the Fauna Marin & Reef Nutrition products, etc…) are very encouraging, as is the feeding response I get from a mix made based on Danny Dame’s recipe. More photos / info later as time permits, but please follow the links at the end of this for some very good information on these animals & their care.

post-9248-0-76134400-1293848850_thumb.jp

I used 1/8 of Danny’s recipe – so in 500 mL I put 1 capful of UltraPac. You have to mix it in slowly if mixing by hand otherwise you end up with a single gelatinous clump, not a nice syrupy concoction. When that mixed I added 3 ml of MinS. He uses a blender, but my wife would have my ###### were I to be caught blending this stuff in her kitchen…

The Ultra-Pac (artificial coral mucus) gets pretty ‘blobby’ once mixed up. It’s pretty gelatinous,Danny Dame’s non-photosynthetic coral food recipe a similar consistency to your standard Jell-O mix. Be sure to add the Pac SLOWLY to the water while mixing. DO NOT put the Pac in first then add water, or you end up with a big clump of gel.

post-9248-0-40049000-1293848868_thumb.jp

In another container, I put the following:

* 3/8 tsp frozen cyclopeeze

* 1/8 tsp DT’s oyster eggs

* 3/8 tsp Fauna Marin UltraLife

* 3/8 tsp Fauna Marin Ultra MinF

* 3/8 tsp FM Ultra Sea Fan

* 3/8 tsp FM Ultra Clam

* 1 ampoule Prodibio’s ReefBooster

* A few drops of Fauna Marin UltraBio

* 5ml of Reed’s Roti-Feast

* 5ml DT’s phytoplankton

* 2.5ml FM’s MinS (Amino Acid)

post-9248-0-88351900-1293848914_thumb.jp

SMELLS DISGUSTING!

Continuing to follow Danny’s method, mixed it up, and let them sit overnight in their separate containers. The next day, they were mixed together and let to sit another 24 hours. I found some cool mini ice cube trays on Ebay, 90 mini cubes per tray, so then poured the finished mixture into the trays and froze them. So far, I’ve just been tossing in a cube or two before work, then after work and a couple times through the evening / before bed.

Here’s a photo of the Dendro when I was just trying to feed it Reed’s rotifeast and DT’s phyto… you can see very little polyp expansion.

post-9248-0-94182200-1293848970_thumb.jp

This is what the dendro looks like now that I am using Danny’s recipe. I will try for better photos later, but the polyps are expanded 24/7 (yes, even at 4am :) what reef keeper hasn’t checked the tank then?)

post-9248-0-12173700-1293849004_thumb.jp

I’ll work on a way I can feed it constantly. Check out Dame’s conversion of a kalk reactor at the bottom of the marineaquarium.nl page. I don’t have the space or means to do this, so am exploring other options. I’ve also looked at a syringe pump, but that also requires considerable space.

Eric at Glassbox Design suggested a similar set up to the kalk reactor involving a Nalgene-ish size bottle – that may be better suited to my space constraints. For the meantime, I am hanging a 30cc tapered syringe upside down so I can just toss a few cubes in and have them melt / drip as I leave for work, and before bed.

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

post-9248-0-12173700-1293849004_thumb.jp

I’ll work on a way I can feed it constantly. Check out Dame’s conversion of a kalk reactor at the bottom of the marineaquarium.nl page. I don’t have the space or means to do this, so am exploring other options. I’ve also looked at a syringe pump, but that also requires considerable space.

Eric at Glassbox Design suggested a similar set up to the kalk reactor involving a Nalgene-ish size bottle – that may be better suited to my space constraints. For the meantime, I am hanging a 30cc tapered syringe upside down so I can just toss a few cubes in and have them melt / drip as I leave for work, and before bed.

Could you show some pictures of how your drip system work?

And also the syringe pump system?

Do you have any internet resources on automated food system that can be used to store a significant amount of such food too?

sorry for the barrage of question :)

Could you show some pictures of how your drip system work?

And also the syringe pump system?

Do you have any internet resources on automated food system that can be used to store a significant amount of such food too?

sorry for the barrage of question :)

Bro puppet, above not my work lah :) just do some studies on NPS azooxanthellate corals. And found this interesting and worth to share.. Anyway, Thanks for reading... :thanks:

Pls find below example of syringe pump system @ reefcentral...

syringe pumps

The syringe pumps in author mini-fridge:

post-9248-0-35881300-1293940450_thumb.jp

The syringe pump outlets attached to author Tunzes:

post-9248-0-37124100-1293940510_thumb.jp

Cheers and Happy Reefing...

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone knows if we have any gurus here in Singapore that does such DIY feeding systems?

So far I have only found commercial units that cultivate and dose plankton (grotech plankton reactor).

Sorry, not expect here, just suggestion...

For DIY syringe pump shld be pretty easy... just get a linear motor or profile rail systems and DIY and push device and mounting for your syringe.

If you want quick and dirty & budget design, u can try get component below from Hardware shop : DC motor (try get Higher Amp and lower RPM.. those like power window type pretty strong & good :) ), Long screw track with Nut. Try join your screw with yr motor rotor. And yr pusher with Nut. With your DC supply in positive polarity your syringe will moving forward. and moving backward with negative polarity. u can add limit switch on both side to prevent mechanical nut overshoot.

If you need accuracy, then get a stepper motor with controller.. And the commercial syringe pump is available too but quite ex..

Cheers...

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

Anyone knows if we have any gurus here in Singapore that does such DIY feeding systems?

So far I have only found commercial units that cultivate and dose plankton (grotech plankton reactor).

Nope. So far only dosing pump feeding systems...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

Ya, I believe dosing pump shld do the job too...

Thanks for the replies from the 2 seniors here :)

I was looking more for a system that keeps the food chill and yet dose the food at the same time, any gurus interested to take up the project?

would a budget of 1k SGD be enough?

thanks

I was looking more for a system that keeps the food chill and yet dose the food at the same time, any gurus interested to take up the project?

thanks

Should be able to be done below 1k if not factoring the cost of the dosing pump and magnetic stirrer and the cost of damaging a few bar fridge... One problem is we need to find a suitable small bar fridge...

Edited by Terryz_

Member of:

thanks

Can try below single channel dosing pump plus mini thermal-electric freezer.. Suggested spell the expectation in detail, such project price can vary from few hundred to few K. depend yr expectation. so that, avoid misunderstanding in future.

post-9248-0-11622200-1298334326_thumb.jppost-9248-0-49627800-1298334354_thumb.jp

Cheers..

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

thanks brother CFOh,

Could you recommend someone or an LFS that would be keen to DIY this project?

thanks so much once again :)

was wondering if such a fridge works

http://ltsgroup.com.sg/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21&products_id=301

does those mini bar fridges release a lot of heat? was wondering if i were to place the mini bar fridge in the sump area, would it lead to a significant rise in ambience temperature.

The width of the fridge must be able to fit in the number of dosing pump you want to install and the container for your food mixture.. Normally the dosing unit should pump food into the main display and not into the sump, so the unit should be beside or behind the tank...

Member of:

was wondering if such a fridge works

http://ltsgroup.com.sg/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21&products_id=301

does those mini bar fridges release a lot of heat? was wondering if i were to place the mini bar fridge in the sump area, would it lead to a significant rise in ambience temperature.

Yes, they r quite hot behind.. As Terry pointed as well, need to place them beside or behind the tank... I will shot some pics tonight how my dosing unit placement., I place beside my tank with rack.. Cheers..

I think yr fridges shld work well just ensure your feed capacity and equipment able to fit in. But electricity $$$ quite steep.. :P Cheers..

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

just some idea..how about a cheaper method..chills the food save the electricity n wiring..

red = styrofoam box from your old electronics equipment / just buy from artfriends...

blue = ice

green = syringe with goop food...

orange = some heavy weight

as the ice melts over time, it pushes the syringe content out, but do wipe the syringe rubber with some olive oil for lesser resistant / lesser weight required...or just changed to a new syringe at $0.80 - $1.20 at pharmacy..

Cfoh did they mention the food content can be freeze? but i doubt so, else there can be other easier methods..the following amt of food required a good skimmer and nitrate system..great effects from the photos but gonna b a bomb if u purchase this receipe at 1 go...

* 3/8 tsp FM Ultra Clam

* 5ml DT’s phytoplankton

post-2836-0-21479600-1298346281_thumb.jp

Just my personal opinion, if you are using dried food like FM, a constant circulation within your dosing container is a must if not all the food will settle at the bottom and you are not getting anything into your tank...

Same with freezing a huge quantity in the syringe and thaw it overtime, it your food will settle at the bottom or should I say "side" of the syringe...

Freezing the food is good if you plan to feed manually when you are home... just drop it in like cyclopeeze and let it melt and disperse in the water...

Member of:

wow circulation in a syringe is tough.. so +1 to "stick to traditional feeding?"

perharps only feed those food tht is sediments form in water when u r feeding your fish.. but if u are using auto feeder.. then :fear: :fear: :fear:

hey terry perharps u shld add a timer to your return pump, since u already have circulation pump in tank.. lolx..

for every drip prob 30-40% go inside skimmer..

wow circulation in a syringe is tough.. so +1 to "stick to traditional feeding?"

perharps only feed those food tht is sediments form in water when u r feeding your fish.. but if u are using auto feeder.. then :fear: :fear: :fear:

hey terry perharps u shld add a timer to your return pump, since u already have circulation pump in tank.. lolx..

for every drip prob 30-40% go inside skimmer..

I think Terry mean circulation via dosing pump?

new syringe at $0.80 - $1.20 at pharmacy? how many ml syringe? I am using 50ml. If u able to get $0.80 for 50ml here let me know ya. Others size I found not practical... Thanks in advance.. :ThanxSmiley:

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

just some idea..how about a cheaper method..chills the food save the electricity n wiring..

red = styrofoam box from your old electronics equipment / just buy from artfriends...

blue = ice

green = syringe with goop food...

orange = some heavy weight

as the ice melts over time, it pushes the syringe content out, but do wipe the syringe rubber with some olive oil for lesser resistant / lesser weight required...or just changed to a new syringe at $0.80 - $1.20 at pharmacy..

Cfoh did they mention the food content can be freeze? but i doubt so, else there can be other easier methods..the following amt of food required a good skimmer and nitrate system..great effects from the photos but gonna b a bomb if u purchase this receipe at 1 go...

* 3/8 tsp FM Ultra Clam

* 5ml DT’s phytoplankton

food content can be freeze? not understand? I kept my own blend reef food in freezer. So far so good..

I think here we r talking about chilling the food to maintain freshness. Not sub cold environment. It is your question?

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

I think Terry mean circulation via dosing pump?

new syringe at $0.80 - $1.20 at pharmacy? how many ml syringe? I am using 50ml. If u able to get $0.80 for 50ml here let me know ya. Others size I found not practical... Thanks in advance.. :ThanxSmiley:

No, not the circulation via dosing pump, i mean within the food container that contain all the food, you will require circulation if not the dry food will settle at the bottom...

Member of:

No, not the circulation via dosing pump, i mean within the food container that contain all the food, you will require circulation if not the dry food will settle at the bottom...

Haha, communication error.. yes off-cause from container but dosing pump methods right? Cause syringe methods normally food injected/sucked into syringe directly..

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

yup i was refering to sub cold temp previously.. thanks

how much u getting for 50ml syringe at your end? the $1.20 is lightly bigger than 20ml i tink..

dont visit pharmacy often lolx..

Pharmacy @ NTUC selling ~$3+. Cheers...

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• Guest unpinned this topic