Getting Started with Azoox Coral

Terryz_

Azoox Corals have been a favorite among reefers due to their coloration but they are known to be difficult to keep alive as they require frequent feeding.

Now with the advanced reefing technology and informations about these corals, keeping them is possible with the correct requirement and equipments.

Hope that this thread will help reefers who are trying out with these difficult corals.

I am not expert in keeping Azoox corals and can only speak from my limited knowledge from my 4 months of experience with them.

I will start with a few pointers on what to take note before keeping these corals.

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

Water Parameter -

N03 - Below 10ppm (Optimal is Undetectable)

P04 - Undetectable

Temp - 26C - 27C

As all corals, Azoox corals do better in water that have undetectable Nitrate and Phosphate. They are able to tolerate higher Nitrate but Phosphate needs to be as low as possible as Algae will tend to grow over Azoox corals such as Seafans and Gorganions causing them to unable to extend their polyps to feed.

Azoox tends to do better in cooler water and extends better too.

Other parameter can be kept as per normal.

Member of:

Water Parameter -

N03 - Below 10ppm (Optimal is Undetectable)

P04 - Undetectable

Temp - 26C - 27C

As all corals, Azoox corals do better in water that have undetectable Nitrate and Phosphate. They are able to tolerate higher Nitrate but Phosphate needs to be as low as possible as Algae will tend to grow over Azoox corals such as Seafans and Gorganions causing them to unable to extend their polyps to feed.

Azoox tends to do better in cooler water and extends better too.

Other parameter can be kept as per normal.

I think the greatest challenge to Azoox is feeding :(

Could you share with us some of your experience or knowledge in this particular area?

1) What do these corals feed on in the wild?

2) Are there any off the shelf brands that is able to subsititue what nature offers them?

3) Is it more cost effective to breed phytoplankton and various pods to feed them?

4) Is there commercial brand system that helps us to breed such food?

5) Any automated system that is able to store off the shelf brands food and dose them into the tank? I have seen those DIY mini fridge syringe pump system, wonder is that available commercially or if any gurus in Singapore is doing and selling them.

I am sorry for the rude barrage of questions, but it's kinda hard to search for these information as I think this is still a rather unexplored venture for home aquarist like us

Thank you so much for helping us in this :)

Feeding -

Azoox corals requires daily frequent feedings as they do not produce their own food. There are two type of Azoox, small polyps and large polyps coral.

For small polyps azoox corals such as dendronepthyea, scleronepthyea and seafans, they will require small micron food such as phytoplankton and zooplankton.

For large polyps azoox corals such as Sun coral and Rhyzo coral, they are able to accept bigger size food such as mysis and cyclopeeze.

Because different Azoox coral accept different micron size of food, it is best to mix various different size of food within the feeding regime so that all the different azoox coral will be able to feed on the correct food.

Feeding Frequency is also important, It is best to have consistent feeding throughout the day 24/7 as Azoox coral will need feeding consistently.

Some food brands that are bring used by Azoox reefers are FaunaMarin, Reef Nutrition, Shellfish Diet, DT Oyster-eggs, TLF and etc.

Edited by Terryz_

Member of:

Equipment -

Oversize Skimmer -

Over size skimmer is a must as Nitrate problem is a very common issue in Azoox due to the immerse amount of food being pumped into the tank daily. Over size skimmer will help ensure to keep Nitrate as low as possible.

Feeding Unit -

Feeding device such as dosing pump should be in your shopping list. As Azoox coral will require daily frequent feeding, a dosing unit that dose food 24/7 is essential so as to ensure your corals do not starve.

Specialized feeding unit is not being mass produced now due to the small market, Most are being DIY or custom made for that function.

Biopellets -

Biopellets, I feel is a good way to reduce nitrate in azoox tank as the nitrate is a very persistent issue in Azoox Tank.

Other Equipments as per normal tank setup.

Member of:

I think the greatest challenge to Azoox is feeding :(

Could you share with us some of your experience or knowledge in this particular area?

I am not very experienced yet, only 4 months of keeping Azoox... Because each and different Azoox coral require and feed on different size of food so preparing a food mixture that consist of different micron size of food is beneficial to them.

I have 4-5 different kinds of food in my food mix, so far the corals are reacting well to them and none of the corals are showing signs of dying. Feeding frequency is also crucial, best is 24/7 but if not , can try feeding only a interval of a few hours. I am using a modified denitrator, That will be another thread I will be starting next time.

1) What do these corals feed on in the wild?

I am not very certain but most likely phytoplankton and zooplankton

2) Are there any off the shelf brands that is able to subsititue what nature offers them?

Yes, Brands such as Faunamarin, Reef Nutrition, DT and actually most brands like TLF,Kent,Brightwell also offer small micron foods. Just that whether you prefer dry or wet food.

3) Is it more cost effective to breed phytoplankton and various pods to feed them?

Culturing is being done but they are not easy and very time consuming, not for a average working adult.

As for cost, Maybe in long term it might be cheaper??

4) Is there commercial brand system that helps us to breed such food?

Yes, But I feed that is not really require to spend so much on such equipments.

5) Any automated system that is able to store off the shelf brands food and dose them into the tank? I have seen those DIY mini fridge syringe pump system, wonder is that available commercially or if any gurus in Singapore is doing and selling them.

Nope.. Not available commercially but there are other ways of DIYing a chilled feeding unit. I know Joe_p is doing feeding units but I have not seen them before, you can try Pm-ing him.

I am sorry for the rude barrage of questions, but it's kinda hard to search for these information as I think this is still a rather unexplored venture for home aquarist like us

Azoox corals are relatively quite new to reefers and not many are willing to venture into them as they are known to be difficult to keep. RC and Azoox.org is a good place to start researching about

Thank you so much for helping us in this :)

Will help with what ever I can.

Member of:

what about WC. how often to WC a let say small tank of 1x1x1 tank...

80 % per week?

What I see from other forums and experiences, as long as the Nitrate is under control, 10% - 20% once weekly is still fine. Some with high nitrate, they will do 5% small water changes daily until Nitrate is being reduced.

Member of:

• Guest unpinned this topic