What else do i need?

• SRC Member

Hi guys, have been reading up alot but still have some enquires.. i do have a 422 tank now rearing freshwater fish but i have plans to go marine.. the tank is around 3 - 4 years old and is 10 or 12mm thick with full bracing.. issit safe enough to start a marine tank? as im running only canister filter now.. can i do without a skimmer? what i have now is a 2x55watt 8000k PL light, sunsun 3000l/hr wavemaker and a canister full of media... i'll be adding fan to cool down the tank as well.. can i start a marine tank with just fishes and some easy corals like mushrooms and zoas?

thanks.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member

Hi guys, have been reading up alot but still have some enquires.. i do have a 422 tank now rearing freshwater fish but i have plans to go marine.. the tank is around 3 - 4 years old and is 10 or 12mm thick with full bracing.. issit safe enough to start a marine tank? as im running only canister filter now.. can i do without a skimmer? what i have now is a 2x55watt 8000k PL light, sunsun 3000l/hr wavemaker and a canister full of media... i'll be adding fan to cool down the tank as well.. can i start a marine tank with just fishes and some easy corals like mushrooms and zoas?

thanks.

You can re-use your tank. Wash all things you are re-using thoroughly (with RO/DI/distilled water) then rinse with salt water.

1 canister seems not enough for tank of your size unless it's a pretty big one. 422 is about 465 liters. A skimmer is advisable unless you are really disciplined on water change.

Your lights are enough for fishes but surely not enough for corals (except for non-photosynthetic corals). Even then, the color temperature will not bring the best out of marine fishes.

Whether the wavemaker is enough depends on what corals you intend to keep.

Read up more. This forum has loads of useful information that you can use.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

I have used an OHF long time ago and I distinctly remember having problems with salt creep/spray. Quite unsightly and if it is bad enough, I think it will affect your salinity as well. But pro is that media change is easier than canister. If you can, go for a sump I feel. Just my 2 cents, cheers.

• SRC Member

a skimmer will go a long way... makes algae problems less, lesser WC (not as convenient as WC for freshwater..), most impt, corals will be happier, and you can keep more livestock... unless u planning to only have like 6-8 small fishes no more than 2 inches, and weekly abt 30% WC ?

• SRC Member

OHF may still not be enough to handle your tank size, though as bro jammer said there is some convenience. you'd probably be better off with a sump, and yes, i agree on skimmers :eyebrow: will be quite a pain to do more frequent wc for your 422 without it ... cheers !

25 Gal Micro Ocean