Diatoms, Cyano or Dinoflagellates

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

New tank syndrome. ....its ok, just stick to 10% water change weekly n dont add any fishes for next 1-2 months. Control feeding plus bioload, the "good bacteria" will catch up. If u want to speed things up, just dose small amount of bacteria every day.

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

• 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Best way to deal with diatom is to go blackout for 3 days. Cover the whole tank with newspapers.

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

• 1 month later...

Best way to deal with diatoms is to let it run out ... Mine did .. But now have a Dino problem .. Need some advice .. Did some reading (again) .. Black outs , lower phosphate nitrate .. ( how do u lower when the reading says 0.. ) interestingly .. I read a couple of threads saying ,to increase nitrate to battle dinos .. Now that's something different..

Stairway to Heaven

• 2 years later...
  • SRC Member
On 4/6/2014 at 0:48 PM, xiggie said:

Best way to deal with diatoms is to let it run out ... Mine did .. But now have a Dino problem .. Need some advice .. Did some reading (again) .. Black outs , lower phosphate nitrate .. ( how do u lower when the reading says 0.. ) interestingly .. I read a couple of threads saying ,to increase nitrate to battle dinos .. Now that's something different..

So ya what the best way?

2 hours ago, sharonleong said:

So ya what the best way?

Best and most effective way is to get a good nutrient export system ( biopallets and GFO combo , good well grown refugrium , algae scrubber etc etc) and patience. 

Stairway to Heaven

• SRC Member
21 hours ago, xiggie said:

Best and most effective way is to get a good nutrient export system ( biopallets and GFO combo , good well grown refugrium , algae scrubber etc etc) and patience. 

Since i was new how does biopallet and GFO combo looks like? Does using Seachem Phosguard helps??

Was this video on removing phosphate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

After shifting my tank and getting back actively into this hobby, i had several issue to fight with cyno and GHA being 1 of them.  This are the solutions and steps i had used to combat them.

Cyno

Pretty sure this problem is solved since i had not had an issue with cyno for a month to 2 now. The solution i had used was ultralife red slime gone. I had tried the other brand dr g i believe but it dint helped much for my tank. For ultralife red slime gone, it only worked on my 3rd try but this is because my first 2 tries i had under dose the recommended dosage. Due to fear of lifestock being affected and also due to miscalculation on my part. 

For the 3rd try which successfully got rid of the problem, i had decided that if i can't solve it i am just going to let it be as such, i did a over dose. Recommanded dosage was 1 scoop per 25 gallon i think. My tank was 75 gallon and i dosed 5 scope on the first day. After 2-3 days (where by right i am suppose to on skimmer and do a water change), i did another 3-5 scope dose (basically i used the entire bottle during this try) than waited another 1-2 day before switching on my skimmer and doing the necessary wc. 

During the 5 days of dosing i stirred my sand bed regularly as i heard it helps. 

GHA

i just finished my battle with bad gha problem. Imagine rocks totally covered with gha and lots of manual plucking.

If i am to sum it up in the order of steps that i had done the work:

1. natural predator: i used seahare for this and they are really good. Only issue is you have to becareful of them being sucked into your wavemaker. So far my mp 10 had no issue but my rw-15 made 3 seahare shake for my tank. End up i had to use egg crates to block the corner where my wavemaker was to prevent such seahare shake from happening. The area has to block off completely as when i had some gaps at the bottom and side the sea hare was still able to climb into the blockout area.

2. rescaping of sump: how much it has helped is debatable. basically i did away with my refugium and went for bacteria media (used 2 marinepure media block largest size) and since it takes time for it to be effective i cannot judge base on this as it has only been a month to 2 since i last did the change. 

3. AF po4 minus and rowaphos: used both. rowaphos is trustworthy in its work for me but Aquaforest po4 minus is tidier and much much less messier than rowaphos. Usefulness of aquaforest? i am not sure. had it running in my minimax near my return pump.

4: redsea NOPOX: imo this was what helped the most along with the seahare. Started using this about 1-2 weeks and i have yet had to reach my hand in to pluck any gha probably thanks to the seahare :). Before using this i had to pluck the gha every once in awhile. Also i had stopped dosing polylab fuel and instead used the genesis (bacteria) together with this product. 

So to sum it up currently most of my gha are gone and i have no need for manual plucking as of yet. hope this helps 

• 5 years later...