PICO IQ5 Tank in Office

desideria

• SRC Member

Day 16 update : My Narsarious Snail had committed suicide over the weekend... climbed out of my pico and landed on my desk.. ;P

Added in more zoos, lumi mushy and a POM POM CRAB!

post-12571-0-24839700-1296522613_thumb.j

post-12571-0-15320200-1296522616_thumb.j

post-12571-0-93780800-1296522709_thumb.j

Also finally got the Two Little FIshes NANO MAG from Madpetz last night. It's GREAT for a little tank like the IQ5 and the magnet is super strong. I had bought a small acrylic fleece from RD also to put on the magnet to protect the acrylic from scratches. ALthough it does say on the packaging that it is safe for Acrylic, it's still best to put the fleece over it JUST IN CASE. :)

It really helps to clean the HARD to reach places since it's so slim!

post-12571-0-45955300-1296522618_thumb.j

post-12571-0-72474800-1296522620_thumb.j

post-12571-0-62993800-1296522623_thumb.j

Because the weather has been so cold lately, the temp for my office pico is hovering between 23.5-25... I hope during the long CNY weekend it doesn't go up too much. :P Anyway will be leaving a small fan blowing at the tank indirectly so as not to have too much evap.

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

• SRC Member

hahaha no la Tench... i'm not THAT bor liow... this 4 days wll be litmus test.. see whether things survive.. AHHAHA .. will top up, throw in food tomorrow when I come in for half day... turn on fan and then say a little prayer then bring back laptop to work as it's financial closing over the CNY weekend. :(

I really want this to be a fuss free tank so to speak... but next MONDAY I am bringing in the supposed "gems" of the pico which are still sitting in my main tank's sump... so hope I don't come in to see a mini nuclear holocaust on my table... :paiseh:

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

• SRC Member

My guess: The coral your pom pom crab will pull out to wave around once the current pom poms die off - clove polyps. :chair:

Gong Xi, Gong Xi... Huat Lah~

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

How bout adding an Ice Probe? Less evaporation. You could also do a mini ATO with a hamster bottle. I'm not sure if the IQ5 has that kind of space though...

Imo, the Ice Probe is too huge to mount on any pico tank. Don't think there's a need to worry much about evaporation with such a small covered tank. With fan blowing, maybe DIY a temporary ATO for weekends is a good idea.

Tt TLF magnet looks like deceptively big in the photo! Totally cool product for pico owners, it is tiny and super handy at cleaning the walls with it's super small and flat inside surface :) Great purchase Desi! :ThanxSmiley:

Tt TLF magnet looks like deceptively big in the photo! Totally cool product for pico owners, it is tiny and super handy at cleaning the walls with it's super small and flat inside surface :) Great purchase Desi! :ThanxSmiley:

totally agree! especially for tight spaces where it's hard to reach by hand or other magnetic cleaners/scrubbers

How bout adding an Ice Probe? Less evaporation. You could also do a mini ATO with a hamster bottle. I'm not sure if the IQ5 has that kind of space though...

Imo, the Ice Probe is too huge to mount on any pico tank. Don't think there's a need to worry much about evaporation with such a small covered tank. With fan blowing, maybe DIY a temporary ATO for weekends is a good idea.

I think iceprobe can be mount on the back overflow compartment of the iQ5, i have mount it on my iQ3 before.

Some pics to show. Probaby Desi can consider. :eyebrow:

post-17527-0-12177800-1296624325_thumb.j

post-17527-0-83094700-1296624331_thumb.j

• Like 1

• SRC Member

nice.. LOL but now the iceprobe isn't required because the temp is so darn cold.. my temp is 23.5 in my pico. HAHAHAH I don't think there is a temp controller included with the iceprobe right? Cause I don't think I want to on it and then my inhabitants kinda freeze to death... Or is the temp controller an option? :)

even this human is shivering my ###### off.... i'm still in office :*(

Cheers, ;)

Desi

• SRC Member

You should be fine without a temp controller. The Ice Probe is meant for periods without A/C, like non office hours and weekends, or even long holidays like CNY. Just set it on a digital timer and it should work like a charm.

Do put on a jacket, or quickly go home to hubby's warmth. :friends:

Bro, what's the temp like for the IQ3 during hot periods?

No problem in maintaining at 24 - 25 degree during hot periods cause of iQ3 small water volume. I use it with a controller though as without controller it can went down to 18 degree :blink:

• SRC Member

Day 21 and my little office nano survived the 4 day of borchupness .. :P Came in and the temp was 24.9 degrees with my small desk fan constantly blowing at it since Wednesday evening... The pom pom crab is still ALIVE!

Finally the tiny GSP frag that a fellow reefer in the office gave me is opening up, the whole of last week only 1 or 2 polyps opened.. now finally more is extending... hope it encursts on the rock .. :)

tomorrow i'd bring in the one and only fish that will be in this leetle IQ5 and .. something else.. then pray... LOL

post-12571-0-94675700-1297048637_thumb.j

Cheers, ;)

Desi

• SRC Member

Have thrown these in... :) A purple firefish. Have put a small cut out egg crate on top to prevent any unintentional suicidal intentions of the fish but this one seems very calm and collected. Will hover in the front but as soon as I go near it, it will go behind and then come back out to hover on top of the zoos... LOL

post-12571-0-21025600-1297142539_thumb.j

Orange BTA from Henry!

post-12571-0-13019900-1297142328_thumb.j

Here's a short vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjsWyRetKkI

Cheers, ;)

Desi