air con room

Sinn

• SRC Member

ok ive got a question before i embark on the temperature part of the tank...

my room is air conditioned, tank temp ranges from 22 (at night wiff air con) to 29 (day)

from what tanzy told me, fluctuations in temp is a killer...

so the question is...

shd i

1) get a fan to cool the temp during the day ( but dont know how low it would go)

or

2) use a heater at night?

Thank you ;)

• SRC Member

Sounds like a good idea since a chiller is quite redundant in your case. Just make sure the temperature in the day doesn't go above 29.

Heaters in marine aquariums are quite problematic. In UK, the heaters often suffer from cracked seals because the rubber will harden in the saltwater. Also they suffer from heavy buildup of calcium deposits

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

hi Sinn, my office tank averages 23C in the day and after 7 pm the temp creeps to abt 27C until the next morning.

so far the frogspan coral, cleaner shrimp, tomato clown and damsel are all doing fine. been that way for the last 8 months. so far no signs of stress, both eating agressively and in all, everyone's been doing fine.

(home tank on chiller at 27C though.)

• SRC Member

i think i cud get that kinda temp ..

if i switch on the air con when i go to school

and off it when i go to sleep

the worst thing that could happen is getting nagged at... :lol:

ok i think i will try switching the fan on during the day - hoping it doesnt get higher then 27

and off it at night...

that way the noise from the fan wont be distracting as well aye!

btw ebi,

whats the size of the tank in the office?

mind telling me what equipment is used and how u manage it?

• SRC Member

Hi pospeh,

Does your tank contain fish only? 30C maciam quite high leh...I dunno how true iccit :blink: but i was told by most LFS that if I am keeping corals, try not to let the water temp to exceed 30C for prolonged period... :P hehehe...i wonder anyone can verify this point? :)

• SRC Member

I notice my bubble do not "bloom" when temp is 30C. Had to use the fan altho I really hate the evaporation and noise. I switched on the fan at 8:00 am and off at midnite. Temp range is 25 - 29C - mostly 27-28C. Actinic from noon to midnite, MH from 3:30 pm to 11 pm.

• SRC Member

I have a 3x2x2 tank running with 250W MH light.

I keep mostly leather and mushroom and polyps, and they do well in a 30-32C tank. I also have had 3 clams for 2 years with no problems.

I tried to raise hard corals without much success. The acros lasted about 6 months with no problem (and even grew some), but then one day, it suddenly decided to melt away on me. Perhaps in those instances the temps flew about 32C for too long.

I don't think it is true that you need to keep hard corals at 25C in order to raise them successfully. I seen at other discussion boards that Ron Shimek thinks that temps of 28-29 are optimal, and as long as temps dont exceed 32 its ok. He claims that corals actually do better at those temps.

Here is the link:

http://www.reefs.org/library/article/reef_...emperature.html

• SRC Member

yer right pospeh...

it does get pretty cold when i sleep wiff temp set at 20, furthermore its a new air con! :lol:

as for electricity bills, i intend not to know how much it is... my dad's aint complaining... YET..

jason... 6 litres of water seems to be alot! thats like 4 bottles of 1.5l coke a day....

• SRC Member

I wish I had 6L to topup everyday. Only getting about a litre or less.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif