70 Watt MH + T5 combo?

Hi friends,

Have set up a small nano reef tank for the past 10 months.Recently slowly moving to natural sea water and have got parameters quite stabilized .So looking forward to move to sps. Here's my tank specs :-

Tank - 2 ft x 15 inch(W) x 12 inch(H).

Sump - 2 ft x 1 ft x 1 ft.

Skimmer - Reef Octopus 110.

Light - 70 W BLV Ushio 10000K.

As of now having LPS and zoanthids and they are doing well.

But like all of you , after a long battle with nitrates and having stabilized parameters want to slowly move to sps.

So, I plan to use 70 W mh along with 2 ATI Blueplus (2x24 W) as the lighting.

Need your views as to whether I can grow sps from top to bottom or change the mh to 2x24 W ATI Aquablue plus.The mh is placed at 5 inches from the water surface.

• SRC Member

i don't think the penetrating power of a 70w mh is comparable to the other wattage models but it should still do slightly better then 2x24w T5.

since you want sps at the bottom, given your width of 15", perhaps you might want to try,

a. 1x150w mh

b. 6x24w t5

c. led

:)

Thanks so much for the inputs..

Well Led is out of question as I donot have money for the same.

Between 6xT5HO and 150 W metal halide , I am torn in between the two.

Which would be better as heat is an issue but I do run hailea chiller.However, the shimmering effect of the metal halide will be lost without MH. So wanted a combo of T5 HO and mh .

Please advice which would give more PAR ratings -- a 150 W mh or 6 x24 W T5 HO.

• SRC Member

you can't really compare the two since there're are many factors for both lights. eg. an ati powermodule will definately put out more par compared to an inferior brand of mh despite it being t5 vs mh.

here's ATI PM vs. Giesemann Ininiti PAR. neither brands are inferior but you'd see what i mean

if heat is your main issue then t5 is probably the way to go. but if you can live with the heat by say putting fans and all around the mh then i don't see why not

Thanks Straydum.Well if I do plan to go for T5 HO, will be making my own canopy with individual reflectors and osram ballast and ATI bulbs.So then do you think it would be more powerful than a 150 W jbj viper?

• SRC Member

i would choose 6x24w over a 150w viper.

if you're building one yourself maybe you would like to mimic the ati pm. there're a couple of build threads on RC for references. or not there's always delighting's 6 bulb set

• SRC Member

Thanks Straydum.Well if I do plan to go for T5 HO, will be making my own canopy with individual reflectors and osram ballast and ATI bulbs.So then do you think it would be more powerful than a 150 W jbj viper?

hi bro, if u plan on DIY-ing, u are spot-on about the individual reflectors, but may i suggest using Vossloh ballasts, and also add on a fan to cool the ballast or the light-tubes, or even better, both.. such measures will maximize the output of your ATI tubes, maximizing their potential.. both ballasts and light-tubes gives highest output at a certain optimum temperature, and cooling them actively also increases their lifespans..

in my humble opinion, i would opt for 4-6 T5 tubes, and it would be comparable to a 150W.. depending on tank size and your proposed SPSes, 6 tubes is usually a safer option.. the power of T5 lies in the number of tubes..

just my 2cents worth, hope it helps!

If you are into DIY, why not consider LED ? A bro in another forum has lobang for LED bulbs and drivers. If you are interested pm me, I have his contact. You will save plenty of $$$ in the long run. LED also has the shimmering effect but without the heat.

Thanks for all your support..well I am not local..I am from India.My friend will betravelling to Singapore .So planning to get the ATI tubes though him.

Will have provision for 6 tubes and use all 6 as midday burst.Rest of the time will use 4 of them.It will be great if you can show me some pics of the light fixture if anyone has DIYed the same.

Hi friends,

Was thinking how about Maxspect G1-601 W light fixture supplemented with 2 actinics..Will it be good enough for sps? Ofcourse have to source it from Singapore only :(...So if possible please help me..