cynide free fishes

• SRC Member

I would say, sadly, most fishes come from Indonesia and Philippines where they are usually caught using cyanide which is the easiest way to catch. I doubt these fishermen know anything about the effect of cyanide on these fishes and damages done to their own reef environment, and the middlemen supplier prob don't care much.

The difference is probably how much the fishes got it within their bodies. Fishes caught further down the cyanide source may be spared. The rest may look ok now but many may not feed and would get thinner each day and/or fall prey to parasites/diseases. Even those that are eating would get thinner each day too. So, really depends on luck.

I understand that fishes from the caribbean, red sea, hawaii and australian shipments are less likely to be cyanide caught.

I would say, sadly, most fishes come from Indonesia and Philippines where they are usually caught using cyanide which is the easiest way to catch. I doubt these fishermen know anything about the effect of cyanide on these fishes and damages done to their own reef environment, and the middlemen supplier prob don't care much.

The difference is probably how much the fishes got it within their bodies. Fishes caught further down the cyanide source may be spared. The rest may look ok now but many may not feed and would get thinner each day and/or fall prey to parasites/diseases. Even those that are eating would get thinner each day too. So, really depends on luck.

I understand that fishes from the caribbean, red sea, hawaii and australian shipments are less likely to be cyanide caught.

is that one of the reason why fishes from thes places always die and dont feed well?

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Cnynide is only one of the common reason why many WC fishes dun last in our tanks. However, how the fishes are held in the collectors and eventually in retailer shop are also important.

That is why quarantine of new fishes is always very important.

Cheers

Cnynide is only one of the common reason why many WC fishes dun last in our tanks. However, how the fishes are held in the collectors and eventually in retailer shop are also important.

That is why quarantine of new fishes is always very important.

Cheers

alot od time the reefers are the one suffering cos we cant tell. we happily buy a fish back but after a week it just past away. it also will crush the tank if we cant find the victims. this is sometimes so frustrating!

alot od time the reefers are the one suffering cos we cant tell. we happily buy a fish back but after a week it just past away. it also will crush the tank if we cant find the victims. this is sometimes so frustrating!

the fishes are usually from the indo and Philippines regions!

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Is there any medication for cyanide poisoning?

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Supporter

the only way is to trial and error. but the process from the open sea to your tank has too much to go through for a fish therefore there is not best method to tell if they are cynide caught.Often the LFS are also victim like us.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

if you want to pay cheap, you get cheap products. Local we dont want to pay high price for a similar product but different methods of obtaining them. So I believe our region are usually have greater chances of cyanide contaminated fishes. The easiest methods to obtaining fishes in this industry.