Chiller In the Cabinet

stmomo

Hi Bros/Sis,

I will be designing my 4x2x2 tank with the 2.5 feet sump tank below in an enclose cabinet. My Artica 1/4 HP chiller will be below as well.

I have heard that the chille will release quite a certain amount of heat and may casue the chiller to work very hard and shorten the lifespan.

For my case, due to space constraint, I had no choice but to put the chiller in the cabinet together with the sump tank.

I would really appreciate if any bros/sis here, with the same setup as mine, to share what you had done to make the cabinet not so hot and chiller not to work so hard.

I am thinking of making a partition to separate the sump tank and the chiller in the cabinet. Using Mesh on the door of the cabinet where it stores the chiller. What you think? Please advice. Many Thanks.... :)

• Like 1

Main Tank: 4x2x2 with 5 FT Piano Finishing Cabinet

Sump Tank: 32" by 18" by 16"

Arctica Chiller 1/4 HP DBE 200

Vortech MP40wES Wavemaker

Skimz 201 Skimmer

DE Lighting Retro Fit 6x54W T5 tubes

Eheim 1264 Chiller and Return Pump

American Pinpoint PH and Temperature Monitor

KDK 15WUD Chiller Compartment Fan

Tunze Osmolator ATO

• SRC Member

Better still, have no door where the chiller is facing. You can have a big piece of mesh instead of a door. You don't really need a partition if your sump area is well ventilated. Otherwise, install an exhaust fan or 2 like what rivera did.

bro, i have the identical setup.

what i did was installing a cabinet fan (position aligned with the chiller exhaust)

Thanks Bro. How big is yr fan? those normal PC fan can a not ha? got pix bo?

Sorry bro, so many question and trouble u.... pai say.....

Skimz 201 Skimmer

Tunze Osmolator ATO

Better still, have no door where the chiller is facing. You can have a big piece of mesh instead of a door. You don't really need a partition if your sump area is well ventilated. Otherwise, install an exhaust fan or 2 like what rivera did.

Thanks Bro. Any place selling the kind of exhaust fan u mention? might wan to go and take a look so that i can integrate into my cabinet design..... Thanks again....

Skimz 201 Skimmer

Tunze Osmolator ATO

A bathroom exhaust fan works well if budget allows. If you like DIY, SLT offers a host of 12V PC fans with transformers. But look for those less noisy ones.

Bathroom exhaust fan? u mean public toilet one isit?

Skimz 201 Skimmer

Tunze Osmolator ATO

• SRC Member

yeah put an exhaust fan which does look a bit like those toilet ones... i'm not sure about sizes but there should be a small decent size one.

My initial setup was exactly like yours... and it was so hot ( also 1/4 Arctica) that I ended up putting it outside beside the tank cabinet but take note that whether your chiller is in the cabinet ( with exhaust fan) or outside next to the tank, it will make your room very warm unless your exhaust fan is somehow getting the warm air OUTSIDE of the space where your tank is Or your space is well ventilated. :)

good luck with your setup.

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

• SRC Member

Thanks Bro. How big is yr fan? those normal PC fan can a not ha? got pix bo?

Sorry bro, so many question and trouble u.... pai say.....

hi bro, i use an AC aquarium fan. less than $20. comes with a clamp.

when i did was cut a opening, clamp the fan on and angle it.

• SRC Member

I have tried a couple of fans. Some fans come with the plastic housing and the white ventilation louvre may not last that long as the heat from the chiller might make the fan give way after sometime. I used a fan meant for aircon with the heavy metal housing and runs with chiller. Chiller on- fan on. Its fixed at the cabinet rear slightly above the chiller exhaust. All other holes are shut out except rear ventilation holes and some multiples metal louvres in front of the cabinet. whenever the fan is on i can fill the slight gush of air being suck into the louvres. I do not really feel warm in the living room as I have a ceiling fan .

• SRC Member

Anyway, I visited neighborhood electrical appliance shop over lunch & asked about the exhaust fan. It carries the KDK brand. Smallest size is 8" diameter. Cost about 13 red notes. About another 2 red notes for drilling & installation.

http://www.singaporehandyman.com/Fan/ventfan/window_mount.htm

yeah put an exhaust fan which does look a bit like those toilet ones... i'm not sure about sizes but there should be a small decent size one.

My initial setup was exactly like yours... and it was so hot ( also 1/4 Arctica) that I ended up putting it outside beside the tank cabinet but take note that whether your chiller is in the cabinet ( with exhaust fan) or outside next to the tank, it will make your room very warm unless your exhaust fan is somehow getting the warm air OUTSIDE of the space where your tank is Or your space is well ventilated. :)

good luck with your setup.

Noted with thanks sis...... :) will take note on that and will think about something. If it works will update......

Skimz 201 Skimmer

Tunze Osmolator ATO

Anyway, I visited neighborhood electrical appliance shop over lunch & asked about the exhaust fan. It carries the KDK brand. Smallest size is 8" diameter. Cost about 13 red notes. About another 2 red notes for drilling & installation.

http://www.singaporehandyman.com/Fan/ventfan/window_mount.htm

whaooo... thanks a lot bro... will got cc look look.....

Skimz 201 Skimmer

Tunze Osmolator ATO

I have tried a couple of fans. Some fans come with the plastic housing and the white ventilation louvre may not last that long as the heat from the chiller might make the fan give way after sometime. I used a fan meant for aircon with the heavy metal housing and runs with chiller. Chiller on- fan on. Its fixed at the cabinet rear slightly above the chiller exhaust. All other holes are shut out except rear ventilation holes and some multiples metal louvres in front of the cabinet. whenever the fan is on i can fill the slight gush of air being suck into the louvres. I do not really feel warm in the living room as I have a ceiling fan .

u are great bro.... how u do that? can share share...... thanks.....

Skimz 201 Skimmer

Tunze Osmolator ATO

• SRC Member

Hi bro,

How do it connect it such that chiller on-fan on?

I wanted to do but no knowledge. End up had to on 24hrs for the fan.

Must use with external temp controller and the controller activates the socket outlet with my chiller and fan on.

Must use with external temp controller and the controller activates the socket outlet with my chiller and fan on.

thanks for sharing bro...... can share wat is the toal damage $, modification of the external temp and the fan. any contact? thx.... :)

Skimz 201 Skimmer

Tunze Osmolator ATO

• SRC Member

thanks for sharing bro...... can share wat is the toal damage $, modification of the external temp and the fan. any contact? thx.... :)

fan for aircon type cost me about $30+. External temp + misc about two blue notes....mounting them inside the cabinet need electric jigsaw and diy skills and plenty of sweat. But at least i did it just the way i want, neat and tidy. first time use those ventilator fan(plastic shroud) dont really last long...maybe the motor couldnt take the heat...melted. 2nd round buy heavy duty...runs like a horse.

• 1 year later...

I am facing this same dilemma... should I leave the chiller outside the cabinet, giving more space for sump.

Or should I keep it inside the sump cabinet and go through the challenge of keeping the compartment ventilated sufficiently.

Pros an cons for each.

• SRC Member

Used to have my chiller IBM cabinet.. moved it out due to:

1. Poor ventilation -> kick in often-> increasing elec bill

2. Inside cabinet can have increase humidity. Salt contents. That may damage your chiller..

Abv points made me decide to replumb to outside, leaving space for ato n rdsb with mangrove. Happier since. Haaha

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

I hve same set up, same chiller same size tank, just that it is a divider, look at my thread

Yes I got a kdk vent fan but must take away the cover behind as it is obstructing my sofa, ya I want to modify the on off fan as well but find it real troublesome, so end up putting a timer and monitor the cut in cut out time, on 1.5hr off 1 hr, for whole day , yes I also change my front door opening to mesh type

Make sure don't install the fan wrong direction , should be blowing air from cabinet to outside, not another way round

I'm running 2 sizes bigger chiller(daeil 1/4hp) for my tank size(3x2x2) in my cabinet and installed fan to suck out the hot air from cabinet to outside.....!

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe