DI water...

sunny03

• SRC Member

i am using the standard carbon cartridge. It will filter away the larger particles n remove cholrine with going to the resin. Therefore ur resin will not be exhausted. If you are using the refillable, u might not see much difference as it doesnt do much filtering.

Tank Theme: Mixed Reef with clams

3 feet tank with IOS

Eheim 1262

K3 wavemaker x1

Lightings: T5 actinic blue x4 , T5 white x4

Skimmer: BMQQ

Artica 1/5

Dosing: NA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reefing is sharing. People with rotten mouth is sure a loser for life as expected. When a tomato gets rotten, you can nvr save it.. Throw it away before it infect the good ones.

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

• SRC Member

Any chance of doing a step by step guide. Hope it is not much to ask for. The equipment an resin used. Thanks thanks.

it worked in logical workflow. Do your research online and you discover the basic concept : prefilter + carbon + Di. Btw carbon is cheap but not Di resin

• SRC Member

Agreed.. For me i changing my carbon after every 3 times when my di resin runs o. Last time i change immediatly every refill, now reduced to 3.

Tank Theme: Mixed Reef with clams

3 feet tank with IOS

Eheim 1262

K3 wavemaker x1

Lightings: T5 actinic blue x4 , T5 white x4

Skimmer: BMQQ

Artica 1/5

Dosing: NA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reefing is sharing. People with rotten mouth is sure a loser for life as expected. When a tomato gets rotten, you can nvr save it.. Throw it away before it infect the good ones.

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

• SRC Member

Any chance of doing a step by step guide. Hope it is not much to ask for. The equipment an resin used. Thanks thanks.

What kind of step by step guild you looking for ? If you happen to come to northeast you can come and take a look ... Very easy diy ...

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

My opinion is yes. It does work. Its basically running the water repeatedly until the water is clean. However, its not very economical since you are relying only on the DI resins alone for purification. This will exhaust the di resin absorption capabilities at a much faster rate, hence you will need to replace the resins fairly quickly, and this is not a cheap method.

A more economical method will be to run it through carbon as a first stage followed by di resins. The life span of the di resins will be prolonged with the carbon doing part of the job for it. This is what the "crystal pro DI filtration" is really all about. 1 stage carbon, 2 stage di resins

If you want economical and fast, than a rodi unit will be a better choice....i recently learnt about this myself.

Basically the order of water flow will be ----> 5 micron filter (removes sediments and rust etc)----> carbon---->RO membrane---->DI resins......Since the DI resins are the last stage, effectively this will prolong its usage.

A bucket of DI resins will set u back to about $45. Fills about 5 canister worth (if i remembered correctly). How fast the DI resins will exhaust will depend on your setup.

I Love Stagsss

Hmmss... so if i modify this method by using 3 containers, first to run presendiment filter, 2nd to run activated carbon and finallly 3rd resin filter. This be sufficiently effective to remove chlorine and bring tds down to 0? Am thinking of connecting like 3 plastic water bottles together with air tubings end to end and fill them the filter medias and run the pump like sunny did.. hmms.... or should i buy those cheap housing from taobao like this one and set it up? http://h5.m.taobao.com/awp/core/detail.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.80.DSjo3n&id=20340103607&ns=1#detail

Yes sure u can do that. It functions the same as a premade, off the shelf unit. I suggest getting the canisters from taobao, it ensures the inlet is pushed thru the media before exiting to the next stage.

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

My DIY setup as exactly copy from the above and the Tap water will run thru the ION exchange than follow into the Activated carbon. So it is like 2 stage purifying.

However, the question here is which stage to run first. Madpet advise was to run Carbon before the ION. But I did the reverse and the results still measuring as zero.

Hopefully, I am doing the right way...thks

I am using the 3-stage DI unit from Madpetz.. 1st stage carbon cartridge and another 2 stages of DI resins.

What I noticed is that fine carbon particles get trapped in the DI resin stages.. more carbon particles found in the 2nd stage

immediately after the carbon stage, and much lesser carbon found in the 3rd stage of DI resins.

I believe you get the same result of zero measurement regardless whether carbon is 1st or last, just that you get lesser fine carbon particles going into your tank if you put carbon as the 1st stage. However, this is only applicable to those commercial

units where untreated tap water is forced through the DI unit canisters.

Based on my understanding carbon media is generally cheaper than DI resin. Either arrangement will yield the desired TDS at 0 but at different costs in the long term.

1.5' Cube | Overflow Box | 1' Sump with filter sock and 3L bacteria king | Eheim 1000 return pump | BM 3.5 | Sunsun JVP-110 wavemaker | Full spectrum Par38

• 3 weeks later...