My 1.5ft Reef Log III

jackywongto

Yo Jacky, let me know when you have more details (pricing) for the alk tester.

It looks like a breeze to use.

you got pm !:groupwavereversed:

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

Tested my Phosphate tonight.....

The reading is very consistent. Still 164 ppb phosphorous = 0.502 ppm phosphate.

Same reading as last night.

Guess that totally dispels any concerns regarding Hanna Phosphorus ULR Checker's inconsistencies.

post-6893-0-34831700-1312469524_thumb.jp

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

Found my High Capacity GFO from my reefing treasure chest in the storeroom.

Hopefully this will be my saviour for the next 2 days.

GFO are most effective in FR. Unfortunately I do not have one.

Will place it in the filter bag in my MCE 600.

According to the BRS website, the dosage amount for a 20 gallon tank is 2 tablespoon.

I will be putting double the reccommended dosage tonight and will test the PO4 again tomorrow night.

post-6893-0-87382800-1312470254_thumb.jp

BRS High Capacity GFO Quick Overview

The purpose of GFO is to inhibit algae growth by removing phosphates from the aquarium. Maintaining low phosphate levels will help prevent algae outbreaks and control growth. Serious algae outbreak is one of the most common reasons for complete tank shutdown. GFO is an essential tool and should be part of regular tank maintenance.

• Features
  • Removes phosphates, arsenic and heavy metals.
  • Helps prohibit algae growth.
  • Promotes faster coral growth.
  • Works with media reactor's or filter bag's.
    GFO comes in three different types.
    • Granular GFO is the same material as Pelletized GFO, but slightly smaller. It requires the least amount of flow to tumble. (Good for reactors)
    • Pelletized GFO is essentially Granular GFO in pellet form. However, it's more uniform in shape and slightly harder which results in less dust and fines. (Lower dust)
    • High Capacity GFO is twice as dense as Granular or Pelletized GFO so twice as much material will fit into a reactor. It's extremely hard and has less dust to begin with. Fewer fines will be created during use and transportation. By volume High Capacity GFO will remove roughly twice the phosphate compared to Granular or Pelletized GFO. (Best overall performance)

Found my High Capacity GFO from my reefing treasure chest in the storeroom.

Hopefully this will be my saviour for the next 2 days.

GFO are most effective in FR. Unfortunately I do not have one.

Will place it in the filter bag in my MCE 600.

According to the BRS website, the dosage amount for a 20 gallon tank is 2 tablespoon.

I will be putting double the reccommended dosage tonight and will test the PO4 again tomorrow night.

post-6893-0-87382800-1312470254_thumb.jp

I tried the high capacity GFO , low dust and only need to rinse once before using it.

I tried the high capacity GFO , low dust and only need to rinse once before using it.

Yup its a good media. The other thing is that it does not leech PO4 back into the tank. :thumbsup:

I have heard that goodbye PO4 bounds phosphate well but if the bound substance is not removed from the tank via the skimmer, then PO4 will be released back into the tank.:angry2:

But it defintely helps in lowering the PO4 level temporary. But probably need to dose regularly to maintain the level.

Will try that if GFO cannot lower my PO4.

My Deltec HOB MCE 600 skimmer. One of the best in class skimmer for HOB.

I had cleaned the piping with vinegar and it looks as good as new!

post-6893-0-52014700-1312474246_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

BRS High Capacity GFO Quick Overview

The purpose of GFO is to inhibit algae growth by removing phosphates from the aquarium. Maintaining low phosphate levels will help prevent algae outbreaks and control growth. Serious algae outbreak is one of the most common reasons for complete tank shutdown. GFO is an essential tool and should be part of regular tank maintenance.

• Features
  • Removes phosphates, arsenic and heavy metals.
  • Helps prohibit algae growth.
  • Promotes faster coral growth.
  • Works with media reactor's or filter bag's.
    GFO comes in three different types.
    • Granular GFO is the same material as Pelletized GFO, but slightly smaller. It requires the least amount of flow to tumble. (Good for reactors)
    • Pelletized GFO is essentially Granular GFO in pellet form. However, it's more uniform in shape and slightly harder which results in less dust and fines. (Lower dust)
    • High Capacity GFO is twice as dense as Granular or Pelletized GFO so twice as much material will fit into a reactor. It's extremely hard and has less dust to begin with. Fewer fines will be created during use and transportation. By volume High Capacity GFO will remove roughly twice the phosphate compared to Granular or Pelletized GFO. (Best overall performance)

is this an alternative to Rowa Phos?

or better? haha...

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

• SRC Member

or better? haha...

i have not tried rowa phos....so i can't comment.

right now, i'm using grotech GFO...although, algae growth has been retard...but diatoms still appears in my tank as these r bacteria, not algae.

i did not wash...i placed about 10+ teaspoon inside a filter bag inside my IOS...and smoke comes out when it touches water...and u can hear the sizzling sound :heh:

another plus point abt using GFO is that, it does not affect yr livestocks including sps even if the dust are floating around in yr tank.... :thumbsup:

but when comes to organic phosphates, i'm using Grotech Reef Clear...and i got a leftover bottle of zeozym ...so going to try this formula to see how effective this is.... :yahoo:

btw, i do not test my water parameters :lol::lol: ...pls do not try this at home

l7304smr.jpg

I have receive some PMs regarding the checkers. Some of you are keen to place order as well.

These are the Hanna checkers for marine aquarium use.

Checkers

HI 736 - Phosphorous ULR CHecker

HI 755 - Alkalinity Checker

HI 758 - Calcium Checker

HI 764 - Nitrite ULR Checker

Regeants

HI 736 - 25 : Phosphorous Regeants

HI 755 - 26 : Alkalinity Regeants

HI 758 - 26 : Calcium Regeants

HI 764 - 25 : Nitrite ULR Regeants

Currently I am making some enquiries and will be ordering soon next week.

Usually the ETA will be about 2-3 months due to backlog and shipping.

Just drop me a PM this week if you are keen.

Each set of checker with additional regeants should be about SGD 90 - 100 (inclusive of shipping)

Orders (Checker + 1 pack of corresponding reagents)

Wilson - Alkalinity Calcium

Desi - Alkalinity + Calcium

Marc - Alkalinity + Calcium ?? TBC

Jacky - Alkalinity + Calcium + Phosphorous reagents

Larry - Phosphorous ULR

Resser - Phosphorous ULR + Calcium + alkalinity

or better? haha...

Hi bro

I have not used Rowa before leh...... if I can get hold of some, then I will do a test :)

i have not tried rowa phos....so i can't comment.

right now, i'm using grotech GFO...although, algae growth has been retard...but diatoms still appears in my tank as these r bacteria, not algae.

i did not wash...i placed about 10+ teaspoon inside a filter bag inside my IOS...and smoke comes out when it touches water...and u can hear the sizzling sound :heh:

another plus point abt using GFO is that, it does not affect yr livestocks including sps even if the dust are floating around in yr tank.... :thumbsup:

but when comes to organic phosphates, i'm using Grotech Reef Clear...and i got a leftover bottle of zeozym ...so going to try this formula to see how effective this is.... :yahoo:

btw, i do not test my water parameters :lol::lol: ...pls do not try this at home

Wah u using so many things.... next time we can share additives :P

get some from u to sample next time we meet up ...hehe

Jacky welcome back.. :) I want the Hanna checkers!! will PM you :)

Thanks Jane. Added your order liao.

• SRC Member

My Deltec HOB MCE 600 skimmer. One of the best in class skimmer for HOB.

I had cleaned the piping with vinegar and it looks as good as new!

post-6893-0-52014700-1312474246_thumb.jp

Bro may I know How much is this n where to get it ? Thanks.

Zac's Red Sea Reefer 170

Just did my phosphate test.... thank goodness the reading went down.... any guess on the PO4 level today?

Winner will get a big passionate hug from our reefing idol - AhSiang !!!! :groupwavereversed:

3rd Aug : PO4 = 0.502 ppm

4th Aug : PO4 = 0.502 ppm, added 4 tablespoon of High Capacity GFO in a filterbag and placed into my MCE 600.

5th Aug : PO4 = ????

Bro may I know How much is this n where to get it ? Thanks.

Hey hi Zac !

You can get one from Reef Depot for about $600.

Or you can get one from Pasar Malam for about $200 - $400

Here's a review done by Bro Comycus previously.

hope this helps !

• Like 1

Jacky, my order is actually the alk meter. :)

updated... paiseh paiseh ...... old already bad memory....

updated... paiseh paiseh ...... old already bad memory....

Haha. Pls don't say old leh. We are not that far apart u know. :)

Thanks for your help.

How's the cycling coming along? Ready for shopping already?

Don't worry too much about the po4. A little bit of nutrient is actually good for SPS. :)

I'm still battling po4, but it appears that SPS are growing steadily.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

Haha. Pls don't say old leh. We are not that far apart u know. :)

Thanks for your help.

How's the cycling coming along? Ready for shopping already?

Don't worry too much about the po4. A little bit of nutrient is actually good for SPS. :)

I'm still battling po4, but it appears that SPS are growing steadily.

Haha Ray not around... if not sure kena suan like mad by him abt my age.... keke....

Of course there are always others older....

I usually don't cycle my tank one leh.... yeah started with my 1st frag liao :groupwavereversed:

But I do want to buff the Mg, KH to the right level without livestock 1st.

For PO4, I would like to lower it 1st. 0.5ppm is quite high leh. Hate to keep cleaning algae later which I start switching on the lights.

My girls have been pestering me to get a box fish... damn jialat.... that is a fish i definitely do not wish to keep.

Haha Ray not around... if not sure kena suan like mad by him abt my age.... keke....

Of course there are always others older....

I usually don't cycle my tank one leh.... yeah started with my 1st frag liao :groupwavereversed:

But I do want to buff the Mg, KH to the right level without livestock 1st.

For PO4, I would like to lower it 1st. 0.5ppm is quite high leh. Hate to keep cleaning algae later which I start switching on the lights.

My girls have been pestering me to get a box fish... damn jialat.... that is a fish i definitely do not wish to keep.

He does lurk around sometimes. But usually guest appearance one lah.

Box fish huh.. Cute. See, it's time to setup 2 tanks lah. Do a proper sump tank with 2 display tank. No regrets. Just another set of lights and wavemakers mah.

But good move on running GFO at the start. Remove all the nasty silicate and phosphate out before it gets into your rocks. :)

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

He does lurk around sometimes. But usually guest appearance one lah.

Box fish huh.. Cute. See, it's time to setup 2 tanks lah. Do a proper sump tank with 2 display tank. No regrets. Just another set of lights and wavemakers mah.

But good move on running GFO at the start. Remove all the nasty silicate and phosphate out before it gets into your rocks. :)

He's only busy with "Wo Ai Ni, Ni Ai Wo" now....... kekeke

Good for him also lah.... Tell him quickly go get married and have babies ...

My aquarium corner might not have space for sump leh......

Anyway lets see how.. still undecided for now.