My 1.5ft Reef Log III

jackywongto

probably getting some frags from CA too...

not the high class ones..... I will get the easy ones and keep LPS 1st for a year .

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

Installed my pinpoint probe today. The reading started from 100.

Then I went out for breakfast and came back.

The reading started fluctuating from 260 to 310 non-stop. :(

Not sure if it is a probe issue or monitor issue.

Henry advised to placed the probe back into the tiny probe bottle provided with freshwater and let it settle for 1 day.

I did just that and in the mean time also monitored the value. The ORP is dropping gradually from 260 to 230 after 3 - 4 hrs.

Hopefully my monitor is ok....

Kudos to Henry.... Conditioning the ORP probe works. After getting the probe to stabilize in fresh water for a day, I shifted it to the tank.

REading is stable now. phew...... Waiting to see how much it can rise to.... currently only 160.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

After the red, comes the blue.....

PH Probe....collected from ML

post-6893-0-30205400-1312987275_thumb.jp

Dig out more goodies from the Storeroom.....

These additives has been with me for approx 1.5 - 2 yrs now. Anyone knows if they expire?

post-6893-0-88421900-1312988204_thumb.jp

My Mg additive is running low. Bought a new one. Trying Brightwell Aquatic.

post-6893-0-36323100-1312988407_thumb.jp

One of the thing I like about the cap is the it has a well designed drip prevention groove.

post-6893-0-24381900-1312988499_thumb.jp

Now that my D&D test kit is returned. I went to purchase the TM Ca/ Mg combo test kits.

post-6893-0-45087900-1312988735_thumb.jp

K that's it for tonight. Have a full day meeting tomorrow from 8 am.

Over the next 2 days, I plan to

1) check the phosphate level

2) install the PH monitor

3) Calibrate both the PH and ORP monitors

4) Test the alk, Mg and Ca level

5) Add the required amount of additives to bump them straight to

Mg : 1450ppm, Ca : 450 ppm, dKH : 12

O ya.. 1 last update.....

Tank quotation mission initiated...... gonna research around......

Kh at 12? isn't it a bit too high?

lol yes it is. just want to experiment if it is possible to balance all Ca, Mg and dKH at those level.

I am stocking only from next week onwards, so just fooling around with additive dosage.

u bought so many test kits and probes that looks like women's toys....and i dun even have any of these....lol!

pple may think u r setting up a 8ft tank

Test kits: Ca, MG, KH, No2, No3, PO4

Monitor only PH and ORP.

quite basic leh friend.....

btw, my probe does not come with vibration mode hor...... wahahaha

you do not test your water?

Water Parameter testing day :

PO4 = 0.272 (looks like my PO4 is going to take a long time to decrease.)

dKH = 6.77 (consistent with previous reading)

Gonna test my Ca, MG now ..... having fun :)

Buff it up buff it up. Kh quite low wor.

Hey, one question, if you are ordering a new tank, why cycle and stock this one?? More headache to shift later isn't it??

And you are right, he test kits are quite basic. They are essential to do diagnostic and tuning of CR or dosage volume... however the 2 "non-vibrating" probes are good to have (IMHO)

ORP, never measure.. Fishes are doing fine. Not sure of ORP affects corals though.

Whereas ph will be somewhat stable if kh is constant.

Then again, I only have a very short 1 yr experience with SPS, I could be wrong.

Btw, since you are tracking po4 closely now, would you be curious to know if water change can export po4 and no3 faster than GFO?

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

Buff it up buff it up. Kh quite low wor.

Hey, one question, if you are ordering a new tank, why cycle and stock this one?? More headache to shift later isn't it??

Was undecided when to get the tank and if I want a sump.

A bit hesistant to get another set up as it cost a bomb but a it is really very difficult to keep the water parameters in a nano.

Even salinity itself is a challenge. Thats why my tank is still empty now... else will be full of fishes already :P

As for buffing up the elements, you are right.

I will wait till I have a decision then I buff them up.

PO4 is leeching from my rocks... anyway have to get rid of it... so just "GFO" it

And you are right, he test kits are quite basic. They are essential to do diagnostic and tuning of CR or dosage volume... however the 2 "non-vibrating" probes are good to have (IMHO). ORP, never measure.. Fishes are doing fine. Not sure of ORP affects corals though.

Whereas ph will be somewhat stable if kh is constant.

For nano, it just take a little mishap to throw the tank off balance. Hence ORP is something that is easy for me to monitor on the condition of the water.

In the past, my PH can have wild swing from 7.9 - 8.8 in a day. Guess it is just another precaution to help monitor any adnormalities.

But ya right... these are good to have... I just feel more secure knowing these readings rather than leaving to guesswork.

I am still unsure what LS to keep.

Btw, since you are tracking po4 closely now, would you be curious to know if water change can export po4 and no3 faster than GFO?

Sure can. Do nto know when is my next WC, but sure can do a test after than.

But I think you need to do like at least 30 - 40% WC to see some difference.

post-6893-0-49130800-1312988950_thumb.jp

post-6893-0-37463900-1312988949_thumb.jp

post-6893-0-70341100-1312988946_thumb.jp

Ok. wanted to do a test but halfway thru the calcium test, notice that the mini spoon is missing.

Thought I might have dropped it somewhere but from the photo above, it is not there too since day 1.

Gotta head back to ML to get a replacement.

I used the spoon from the NO2/ NO3 test kit assuming that they are the same size.

The reading was very disappointing.

Ca 330

MG 950

I used Brightwell Aquatics salt...... But really surpirise to find the reading so low.

Need to see if the spoon frm the 2 test kits are of the same size.

If yes, than the quality of the salt is really not too good.

Here's my feedback about the Tropic Marine test kit.

- As with many test kit, it depends a lot on your vision muscles. The good thing is that the vials are large and it is easier to look from top down to differentite the colours.

The colours that you are trying to differntiate is always from Light blue tinge to colourless for both the Ca and Mg test.

- Step 1 - 8 is for Ca test. To test for Mg, you continue from step 9. (** I believe you cannot start from step 9 and just test for Mg).

- There is a total of 3 syringe provided so that you do not cross use them and contaiminate the solutions.

- It seems more accurate than the API test sets as the steps seem to be finer.

- TM vials are large in diameter and colour differentiation is easier as compared to API.

- I dislike the TM box. very cheapo paperbox. Not sure how long it will last.

But this is my final verdict... - Cannot wait for Hanna Instrument to introduce the Ca and Mg tester. No more counting of drops, twirling of vial, straining your eyes over the tiny syringe reading..... Definitely with be a winner

• SRC Member

Test kits: Ca, MG, KH, No2, No3, PO4

Monitor only PH and ORP.

quite basic leh friend.....

btw, my probe does not come with vibration mode hor...... wahahaha

you do not test your water?

i dun test any of these.... :chair:

basically, based on the number of sps i have...every alternative day, 2 spoonsful of baking soda, calcium + mag + strontium everyday + potassium every alt day....+ zeozym twice a week + reefclear every alt day + change GFO once every 5 days + carbon every 5 days...so its either RTN or Growth

l7304smr.jpg

basically, based on the number of sps i have...every alternative day, 2 spoonsful of baking soda, calcium + mag + strontium everyday + potassium every alt day....+ zeozym twice a week + reefclear every alt day + change GFO once every 5 days + carbon every 5 days...so its either RTN or Growth

Same same for me. Will only check parameters if the coral seems to be closed for a period of time.

But i must admit, there will be so many testing and measuring only during this phase of tank setting up.

After tank condition stable, will be relaxed.

O ya.. 1 last update.....

Tank quotation mission initiated...... gonna research around......

Bro,

What are you looking at? IOS? Cabinet plus sump? Algae scrubber or Biopellet? Dosing pumps or manual work? Please keep us informed. I am very keen, hahaha.

Materialism :- He who dies with the most toys, wins.

wah ... the force must be with you... hehe.....

The GFO/ Carbon change every 5 days? They might last longer than that. Also you are using filter bag, not FR right?

I take my carbon and GFO filter bag and dislodge them a little every 2- 3 days. 1 week already and they are still effective....

Same same for me. Will only check parameters if the coral seems to be closed for a period of time.

But i must admit, there will be so many testing and measuring only during this phase of tank setting up.

After tank condition stable, will be relaxed.

You guys damn lao jiao mah........

I guess if you have no new addition of corals, then calcification rate should be rather stable and parameters should be pretty predictable.

Sure can. Do not know when is my next WC, but sure can do a test after than.

But I think you need to do like at least 30 - 40% WC to see some difference.

K Wilson. Here's the verdict.

11th Aug : PO4 = 0.272

13th Aug : PO4 = 0.254

Then I went to change approx 25% of water. PO4 dropped to 0.1716 !!!!

So I guess massive water change is more effective than waiting for GFO in reduction of phosphate ! Thanks for the tips bro ! :thumbsup:

:groupwavereversed:

Tested my Mg and Ca again today. Reading is pretty consistent with the last time.

Ca = 330

Mg = 1000

Sigh... the Brightwell Aquatic salt falls short of expectation.