My 1.5ft Reef Log III

jackywongto

• SRC Member

Bro,

I am looking at this thread everyday for things to learn.

Question, where do you get a 50 micron filter sock or even 100 micron? I would like to use that, then have my maid clean it everyday, hahaha, I believe at 50 micron (0.05mm I think), it gets jammed up quick.

have to pay school fees

l7304smr.jpg

design a L shape sump...where u can have 3 layers of mechanical filteration, then follow by refugium (which also can be use as frag station), then follow by return area. And yr MCE can hang behind the sump...shd have space for this

dislike the layering lah....

more water splashing and definitely more salt spray..., :P

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

Whats the solution to your sump's problem?

Take away the ATO partition?

yup.

will get a dosing pump later and drip FW into the sump to compensate for evaporation.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

Hahaha, I am cheap. 偷学!

kekeke... same as me........ that makes 2 cheapos in SRC ... haha....

looking forward to meeting you tomorrow Resser !

The above is a Blastomussa Merletti. Below article taken from : http://www.thesea.or...sa_merletti.htm

Blastomussa Merletti Origins

It is not uncommon to hear the blastomussa merletti referred to as Pineapple Coral, Branched Cup Coral, or Blasto. In its natural environment, the blastomussa merletti can be spotted up and down the wide reefs of the Indo Pacific oceans.

Physical Appearance of Blastomussa Merletti

blastomussa_merlitt_2_theseaorg2.jpg

The polyps of the blastomussa merletti are extremely large and wide (up to 5" in diameter), and emerge from the body of the coral through individual tubular stems. These stems are not often seen, since the polyps sheer size cover them when opened to their full ability. The majority of blastomussa merlettis are usually red, green or brown in coloring.

Blastomussa Merletti in Captivity

LPS corals (Large Polyped Stony Corals, of which the blastomussa merletti is a form) are usually captured in the wild as they are generally unsuccessful to propagate in captivity. However, blastomussa merletti are an exception to this rule of thumb, and of the two species of blastomussa (wellsi and merletti), the blastomussa merletti is much easier to maintain in a home tank, since they will grow very quickly and easily given the right conditions.

Home enthusiasts love watching blastomussa merlettis under the actnic lighting of an aquarium, as its neon centers light up in glowing shades of green. Take caution when adjusting the lighting of a reef tank, as blastomussa merlettis do not thrive under intense lighting conditions. Instead, the light should be adjusted to a dim or moderate level if at all possible. Blastomussa merletti will do best if placed at the bottom of a tank, with average water motion. If the lighting in the home tank is not ideal, the merletti will need to be moved to the middle of the tank where it can access the weaker lighting.

Photosynthetic Nature of Blastomussa Merletti

blastomussa_merlitti_1_theseaorg.jpg

Many corals develop a symbiotic relationship with hard working algae- offering them a place to live in exchange for the energy they produce during photosynthesis. The blastomussa merletti is one of coral, keeping zooxanthellae underneath their surface that will allow them to survive without any supplemental food sources if necessary. The tentacles and polyps on a blastomussa merletti do work to snag and consume organic matters, or drag larger organisms through its sticky, mucus-lined flesh. If maintained in a reef aquarium, hobbyists have had success offering the blastomussa merletti small meaty portions of baby brine shrimp, fish, and squid. The portion sizes should be in line with the polyp's ability to fully ingest it.

Propagating Blastomussa Merletti

If the blastomussa merletti is attempted to propagate in a home environment, it must be done on healthy, mid sized colonies. The skeleton of the blastomussa merletti can be chipped off from the base into segments containing one or more polyps on each piece. Reproduction will continue asexually, as is practiced in the wild

Think this is another type of blasto.

Does anyone have any idea the name of this coral?

post-6893-0-48084400-1313682550_thumb.jp

wow..You are into 'meaty' coral?

and have it done medium-well pls.. .. haha.....

going to let it become a mix reef. I bought a frogspawn too.

But forgot to charge my camera battery and it ran out of juice....

grrrrrrrr......

and have it done medium-well pls.. .. haha.....

going to let it become a mix reef. I bought a frogspawn too.

But forgot to charge my camera battery and it ran out of juice....

grrrrrrrr......

My tank concept is a mixed reef one as well.

But do be caution with the type of compatible fishes allowed.

Else, you will have problem.

• SRC Member

Think this is another type of blasto.

Does anyone have any idea the name of this coral?

post-6893-0-48084400-1313682550_thumb.jp

u cannot keep angels liao...perhaps, dwarf angels still can try try...

the blasto musssa is nice...esp under blue lights...once in a while, u need to switch off yr wavemaker and target feed them with mysis or brineshrimp....

l7304smr.jpg

My tank concept is a mixed reef one as well.

But do be caution with the type of compatible fishes allowed.

Else, you will have problem.

Yup. thanks for the heads up bro...

u cannot keep angels liao...perhaps, dwarf angels still can try try...

the blasto musssa is nice...esp under blue lights...once in a while, u need to switch off yr wavemaker and target feed them with mysis or brineshrimp....

got some Reef Gourmet from Henry already. here we go all over again :P

Still going to get the angels later.... hehe....

Aussie blasto.

Particularly like the shape it sort of weaves out to be...

post-6893-0-00195800-1313988381_thumb.jp

The chosen one by Siang .......

A greenish frogspawn with a few purple strands and a purple frogspawn with some greenish strands.

post-6893-0-19415100-1313989302_thumb.jp

post-6893-0-34703400-1313989298_thumb.jp

Aussie blasto.

Particularly like the shape it sort of weaves out to be...

post-6893-0-00195800-1313988381_thumb.jp

You know, I am such a newbie I smack myself on the head after I left Dr Ang's place.

All your pictures so beautiful, the zoos so big and fwah... Then at Cedric's place, first seeing sunflower zoos up close, and I wish I brought reading glasses. :paiseh: Hahaha.

Materialism :- He who dies with the most toys, wins.

You know, I am such a newbie I smack myself on the head after I left Dr Ang's place.

All your pictures so beautiful, the zoos so big and fwah... Then at Cedric's place, first seeing sunflower zoos up close, and I wish I brought reading glasses. :paiseh: Hahaha.

hehe bro, these are blastos.. not zoas... Those you saw at Ced's place are zoas.

take a trip to reef depot and see the size of their zoas in their display tank ... huge large polyps....

The little tyrant.... really don't want to get this fella but my fall prey to my girl's "Pleasssse daddy, Pleassssssse....."

I have lots of carbon, saltwater and polyfilter on standby.

post-6893-0-21453000-1313994622_thumb.jp

Another new addition from CF.

a mini flameback.... same size as my mini tang.

two of the buddies together

post-6893-0-17478500-1313995122_thumb.jp

before i forget, there are plenty of flameback at CF going at 3 - 4 red notes.

Quite a lot of them were still not feeding last weekend.

if you are planning to get one, pls make sure you get a feeding one.

The previous rock work has a lot of crevices but were also taking too much space.

I tried to place some of the new corals but got frustrated at the block of rocks everywhere.

hence some minor touches were being done to

- elevate the rocks from the sandbed. I now have 75% of the sandbed exposed.

- create more caves for fishes.

- craft more space for coral placement.

the challenge with nano scaping is that you have such limited real estate in the tank and such limited rock choices that you can utilize.

My highly exposed sandbed :)

post-6893-0-41365800-1313996957_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

The little tyrant.... really don't want to get this fella but my fall prey to my girl's "Pleasssse daddy, Pleassssssse....."

I have lots of carbon, saltwater and polyfilter on standby.

post-6893-0-21453000-1313994622_thumb.jp

:agreed: cute !!! then again ... :chair:

25 Gal Micro Ocean