My 1.5ft Reef Log III

jackywongto

Jacky, if you want a better cleaner, try the Black spiky urchin. Its much better than the Tuxedo, as it doesnt 'hijack' frags and corals. :chair:

Hi Tench1,

The black spiny urchin has sharp spikes right? Also if they die, they will leave their spines scattered all round the tank.? I dislike that.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

Jacky, super colorful stuff u have.

Normal mundane stuff compared to yours bro.

My rainbow are in grayscale.

yours are ..... :bow:

but decided to transition in SPS soon after seeing you " natural progression of hobby, pinnacle of reefing" message.. lol

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

looking good! :welldone::thumbsup:

i will need to get these tuxs!

lots of algae on my wall despite GFO and WC every alternate days....i think cd be the iron based content from GFO that fuel the green algae...wat's yr view?

post-15124-0-99640900-1314497194_thumb.j

Thanks bro.

CF sells them (tuxs) for about 6 gold coins only.

===========

As for algae - you can read this: http://www.amdareef.com/ho_algae.htm quite interesting.

I nvr know there can be so many factors encouraging algae growth.

They do make sense though.

Some Algae Boom Factors:

1. Excessive DOC - insufficient skimming capacity

2. Excessive Nitrate

3. PO4 - PO4 can be introduced into the tank via salt mix, additives, certain food source, tap water etc.

4. Lighting spectrum - T5 tubes that are overage might diminish in certain spectral causing algae growth

5. CO2 - Algae needs CO2 to grow. Tank could be accumulating CO2

6. silica

Again with all issue, we need to look at the factors contributing to that issue and identify the root of the issue.

My tank does not have green algae growth leh.... But GFO does not work wonders.

GFO reduces PO4 but according to my daily testing earlier in the month, this is only at a very slow rate.

My tank started from 0.5. My HC GFO only reduces something like 0.01 - 0.02 ppm per day in a filter bag.

So it could be the same as in your case too. I have not seen an increase in PO4 since the addition of GFO.

My tank started from 0.5 ppm of PO4. (contributed by PO4 leeching from the rocks)

Through water change (most effective), Goodbye PO4 and GFO , this is now 0.09 ppm as of today :yahoo: (just tested)

Water change comes up to a total of 60% over 3 weeks.

Are you using DI water? I can pass you my Hanna PO4 you can test and see if PO4 is the main culprit or is it something else?

I now see algae on my tank wall only after 4 -5 days which is pretty good.

** sorry I am penning what ever that is coming to my mind without structuring my thoughts and flow....... gotta multi task...

Reef Group on WhatsApp.

Thinking of forming a WhatsApp chat group for reefing buddies.

Can use it to arrange lunch meets, notify each other of shipments / whats new in LFS., etc.

Share additives, media, bulk orders etc

If anyone is keen, please pen in your nick and PM me your mobile number.

(if there is an exisiting group already, please let me know so i cn join and do no have to "reinvent the wheel")

- jackywongto

-

• SRC Member

Very good idea; but note that sometimes whatsapp is down ....

Reef Group on WhatsApp.

Can use it to arrange lunch meets, notify each other of shipments / whats new in LFS., etc.

- jackywongto

- digibee / luke

(-_-) Happy will do ... (o_o)

• SRC Member

Interesting, quick and fast way...

Reef Group on WhatsApp.

- jackywongto

- digibee / luke

- kikobananas / ig

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

• SRC Member

Thanks bro.

CF sells them (tuxs) for about 6 gold coins only.

===========

As for algae - you can read this: http://www.amdareef.com/ho_algae.htm quite interesting.

I nvr know there can be so many factors encouraging algae growth.

They do make sense though.

Some Algae Boom Factors:

1. Excessive DOC - insufficient skimming capacity

2. Excessive Nitrate

3. PO4 - PO4 can be introduced into the tank via salt mix, additives, certain food source, tap water etc.

4. Lighting spectrum - T5 tubes that are overage might diminish in certain spectral causing algae growth

5. CO2 - Algae needs CO2 to grow. Tank could be accumulating CO2

6. silica

Again with all issue, we need to look at the factors contributing to that issue and identify the root of the issue.

My tank does not have green algae growth leh.... But GFO does not work wonders.

GFO reduces PO4 but according to my daily testing earlier in the month, this is only at a very slow rate.

My tank started from 0.5. My HC GFO only reduces something like 0.01 - 0.02 ppm per day in a filter bag.

So it could be the same as in your case too. I have not seen an increase in PO4 since the addition of GFO.

My tank started from 0.5 ppm of PO4. (contributed by PO4 leeching from the rocks)

Through water change (most effective), Goodbye PO4 and GFO , this is now 0.09 ppm as of today :yahoo: (just tested)

Water change comes up to a total of 60% over 3 weeks.

Are you using DI water? I can pass you my Hanna PO4 you can test and see if PO4 is the main culprit or is it something else?

I now see algae on my tank wall only after 4 -5 days which is pretty good.

** sorry I am penning what ever that is coming to my mind without structuring my thoughts and flow....... gotta multi task...

last night went to AM to replenish my GFO and got a tux....let's see how effective is the tux...previously, i got 8 turbo snails and were rather effective till one by one they started to RIP and foul my water...now left with 2....

l7304smr.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

even if they dun die,they drop their spines sometimes...

yeah, Thats true bro.

recall seeing an article somewhere but forgot the reason.

last night went to AM to replenish my GFO and got a tux....let's see how effective is the tux...previously, i got 8 turbo snails and were rather effective till one by one they started to RIP and foul my water...now left with 2....

happy with your Tux Siang?

or your hairy algae is too invasive?

Interesting, quick and fast way...

Reef Group on WhatsApp.

- jackywongto

- digibee / luke

- kikobananas / ig

Lol been more than a week since my last update.

Been spending more time on whatsapp with these crazy dudes lately.. and having good times again....

Reef buddies :

- jackywongto

- Digibee

- Kikobananas

- Comycus

- Desideria

- Ketchup

- Wilsontantw

- Eniram

- AhSiang......

** you guys rock !

May I know what is colour of the red coral at the bottom center of the tank in photo July 2010 FTS?

Regards,

Anonymous2294

Ya talking about the Supersun? Orange coloured coral?

THe old timers.... well not so old actually.....

just 1 month

flame / purple Firefish

post-6893-0-17328500-1315500137_thumb.jp

post-6893-0-10515700-1315500144_thumb.jp

post-6893-0-97543300-1315500147_thumb.jp

flameback ... this fella and the firefish has damn bad attitude..... fiesty little fellas

post-6893-0-60634800-1315500248_thumb.jp

post-6893-0-51447800-1315500251_thumb.jp

My girls dislike this fish ... :P

DO you know that scooters sleep under the sand like wrasses?

I was doing water change yesterday midnight and I siphoned him out..... haha... thank goodness he is ok.

post-6893-0-07244600-1315500418_thumb.jp

post-6893-0-77724900-1315500425_thumb.jp

I got so fedup of testing for Calcium. In addition to trying to differentiate the faintest of colour change, The agony of dripping drop by drop to determine the Ca level was too much to bear.......

So... I went and got the ........ Hanna HI 758 !

post-6893-0-84538900-1315500748_thumb.jp

instead of 1 regeants... this CA checker has 2.

meaning a slightly higher cost for this model.

post-6893-0-88826800-1315500937_thumb.jp