Getting copperbands to eat?

expat-reefer

• SRC Member

I haven’t had much success keeping copperband butterflies, but I’m giving it another try because they are one of my favorite fish.

I currently have 2 small ones in quarantine for 4 days now, but neither seems at all interested in food. Water parameters all test ok and the fish are swimming normally with normal respiration. I’ve tried lots of different foods: frozen brine and mysis (soaked in garlic), a couple of different kinds of pellets, masstick, tigger Pods, NYOS Gold Pods.

Any suggestions on foods or supplements to get them feeding? Thanks

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

my copperband is with me for about 9 months now. 

if they are new, it takes a while for them to settle down (a few days) before they will start trying to feed. 

go to ntuc, but clams (any clams should work - i got those they name Venus clam from the seafood section). remove one part of the shell, with the meat at the other part. put into the tank to feed. 

in the wild copper band feed by pecking and searching for food on the rocks. that is what their snout is for. it is unnatural for them to pick food from water column. if you are lucky they will start eating mysis from the water. 

good luck

• SRC Member
my copperband is with me for about 9 months now. 
if they are new, it takes a while for them to settle down (a few days) before they will start trying to feed. 
go to ntuc, but clams (any clams should work - i got those they name Venus clam from the seafood section). remove one part of the shell, with the meat at the other part. put into the tank to feed. 
in the wild copper band feed by pecking and searching for food on the rocks. that is what their snout is for. it is unnatural for them to pick food from water column. if you are lucky they will start eating mysis from the water. 
good luck

Can confirm this works most of the time, small clams and mussels on the half shell seem to do the trick. Getting them to feed from the water column is the hard part though, but from my experience it helps if other peaceful tankmates that it will sometimes school with(like rabbitfishes if you have any) actually influence its feeding behaviour and it might mimic them eventually and begin to feed on mysis/cuts of shrimp and even pellets if you’re really lucky, especially if it’s a younger specimen.

All the best

• SRC Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll try clams and mussels right away. Hopefully I can get them through quarantine and into my display tank. I have a pipefish and mandarin that readily eat frozen brine and mysis. Maybe they can teach the copperbands how it’s done.