Chiller Max Temperature? Or Malfunction?

PaulPaul01

• SRC Member

Hey guys, I finally own a Hailea-HS66a, and as chillers are a costly equipment, I would like to maintain a temperature of 27 celsius. However, the chiller display keeps showing a temp of above 27, yet the chiller does not activate. However, when I set it as 26, the chiller starts working. Is this normal? Is the Hailea-HS66a max temp 26? Or does the chiller activate only when the display temp on the chiller is 28? So does that mean if I set it as 26, it will only activate when it is 27? Thank you:)

• SRC Member

I just checked and it went from 27.8 20 minutes ago to 28 now (chiller display temp). The set temp is 26. The in-tank glass thermometer shows 27 however? Sorry for the noob questions, first time using a chiller

30 minutes ago, PaulPaul01 said:

Hey guys, I finally own a Hailea-HS66a, and as chillers are a costly equipment, I would like to maintain a temperature of 27 celsius. However, the chiller display keeps showing a temp of above 27, yet the chiller does not activate. However, when I set it as 26, the chiller starts working. Is this normal? Is the Hailea-HS66a max temp 26? Or does the chiller activate only when the display temp on the chiller is 28? So does that mean if I set it as 26, it will only activate when it is 27? Thank you:)

The chiller will only kick in when it is certain temperature above what you set. For instance u set it at 27. It may kick in 28    . Your chiller sound normal to me. 

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

26 minutes ago, PaulPaul01 said:

I just checked and it went from 27.8 20 minutes ago to 28 now (chiller display temp). The set temp is 26. The in-tank glass thermometer shows 27 however? Sorry for the noob questions, first time using a chiller

Usually you can calibrate your chiller display to be similar to your thermometer. 

Ensure u have an accurate thermometer before u caliberate the temp. The thermostat in the chiller may not be reliable. 

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

12 minutes ago, PaulPaul01 said:

BTW, do I have to keep the chiller pump on even if the chiller is turned off?

The internal thermostat measures your tank water. If you don’t let the pump run, the chiller will know know the temp of your tank

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

• SRC Member

Hi, I am using Hailea 66A. You are right, if you set temp at 26, the chiller will kick in at 27deg and kick out at 25.9deg.  The chiller pump should be always on to monitor the temperature. otherwise, the chiller may go ON and OFF. My 2 cents thoughts..

• SRC Member

Ah thanks a lot guys, so I guess I'll just focus on the thermometer in the tank. I'm not sure of its accuracy, but I like to rely on it as it's those mercury glass thermometers which I find to be more reliable. Thanks a lot:)