Ick treatment

• SRC Member

Hi recently, my tank got infested with ick, have caught all of them out to put into a holding tank, may i know what the most successful treatment has been for you guys?, in terms of medicine and not hyposalinty etc as if will further risk the fish of bring stressed. TIA

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member
Hi recently, my tank got infested with ick, have caught all of them out to put into a holding tank, may i know what the most successful treatment has been for you guys?, in terms of medicine and not hyposalinty etc as if will further risk the fish of bring stressed. TIA  Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app   

i’ve always relied on cupramine in a qt/hospital tank for (most)species that should be fine with copper. i think the common misconception is that certain fish are sensitive to copper, when actually all fish are sensitive to copper(have had clowns and a damsel die during copper treatment but a regal angel and halichoeres wrasse survive it w/o issue), Some just ever so slightly more than others.

Unfortunately it’s also stressful on the fish, so you might want to gradually bring the copper to therapeutic levels(0.25 at minimum, i always go for 0.3 if i worry the fish can’t take the full dose of 0.5 mg/cm3) 

If you want to dose medication without taking your fish out of your reeftank you could try Polyplab Medic. IME it’s effective on ich but not on marine velvet. Also, avoid dosing directly into the main display, and try to mix it in a separate container of tankwater before adding, as polyplab medic is essentially hydrogen peroxide. It will also clear some of your algae population, so expect a potential rise in nutrient levels during the course of dosage.

I’ve also had the product bleach a couple of anemones, so I don’t believe it is completely reef-safe. 

Another thing I’ve tried is installing a UV steriliser as a form of parasite management(for pathogenic parasites like ich, velvet, brook). Not gonna go into the nitty-gritty but the TLDR is: For it to be effective you need a low flow through the UV unit with an adequate wattage for your total system volume.

Personally I’ve found it effective at managing both ich and velvet, assuming not all your fish are already showing signs of an outbreak.

Dipping your fish in freshwater or a medicated bath(e.g. Paraguard, which I swear by after/when acclimating fish before adding them to any of my tanks) definitely helps minimise the risk of introducing parasites into your main tank but isn’t foolproof.

IME all of these work, you just have to pick which one suits your circumstances best.

Hope this helps

cheers

• SRC Member

Thank you soggycookies, but unfortunately i can only do the copper treatment at the moment as i have someone else doing the treatment for me. Due to my NS, however i will heed ur advice and try to dose 1/2 the amount recommended with 2 weeks interval (eventually hitting the full recommended dosage). Will then proceed with about 50% wc a month in, as prolonged exposure to copper could be deadly to the fishes, hopefully all pull through and no other fishes will be lost during this medication period. Thanks again!