Redo Tank

oldnick

Hi all,

I am sharing this because i hope noone follow what i did. Its was really pain in the axx. :poster_oops: First , i am busy with my work and really lazy to read, but i wish to keep a reef tank like what i used to keep in the PAST..really long ago ( tank is done by my dad ) I did not get to know what is need to make up the whole structure of a reef tank. I just base on some info here and there and listen to a shop farm in Pasir Ris. Lets not says who.... its me who wants to listen to him who only wants to earn my cash.

I went to kwang Meng i think at kelatan lane and told him what i want to do. 2ft L x 1.5ft W x 2ft tank ( without IOS or sump ) and he build for me. His workmanship not really good, after recieved the tank i pour in sea water , put in the canister and coral chips. Water go clean and clear in few hours... YEAH!! I DID IT! :thumbdown: so happy... i come to forum and see the pasar malam. Saw a nice bro post, he is selling his nice zoas at a good price. So i contact him and went to his place. Have a chat, and i know from him that a tank need to CYCLE for at least 4 weeks. i only done mine for 2 weeks, cause ah xxxx told me that 2 weeks can liao, just buy the additive from him. Very good one he says. i Cant believe it sia... so i follow what he told me to buy and do. Then i know more things from the bro who sold me his zoas, its like wtf i had done all the things wrong, when ever i change the filter in the canister, i will wet all my living room and the floor got so wet and sticky..

Never give up, i come back to the forum and read most of the post for newbie to start up a new tank, research and ask and ask. i try to do up a IOS in acrylic in my factory but it doesnt not work too. The flow of the water too little, i got too much bubbles to my tank, so i decided to make a new tank. I just collected my tank today, will post some of the photos of it later. really NIGHTMARE if you dont do it right. :cry::sick:

Sorry to hear about the things you had gone through, but i guess it would be useful for newbie setting up their new tank to avoid such pitfall and money wasted.. I am glad that you came back here to do more research and study for your new setup .

i was like you 10 years ago when i started in this hobby which i tried to save some money by running a 3ft tank with IOS system, but as the hobby grew i started to keep more sensitive fish like flame angel but without any success, and that's where i started to realize that the amount of money i had spend to buy new livestock every time is going to pay for my new tank / equipment.

It;s also nice and important to get to know some reefing buddy along the way here to get advice and information from hobbyist themselves which could share their experience .

Do share with us some of your new setup photos ! groupwavereversed.gif

Happy Reefing.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

bro, cycling, i am using bacteria culture so, i NEVER do cycling.

what i do is to put bacteria culture, let the system run for 24 hours, then i start putting fish liao.

after 2 weeks, i put hard coral liao.

no problem i ever encountered.

i do the same for both my fresh and marine tanks.

Hi all,

I am sharing this because i hope noone follow what i did. Its was really pain in the axx. :poster_oops: First , i am busy with my work and really lazy to read, but i wish to keep a reef tank like what i used to keep in the PAST..really long ago ( tank is done by my dad ) I did not get to know what is need to make up the whole structure of a reef tank. I just base on some info here and there and listen to a shop farm in Pasir Ris. Lets not says who.... its me who wants to listen to him who only wants to earn my cash.

I went to kwang Meng i think at kelatan lane and told him what i want to do. 2ft L x 1.5ft W x 2ft tank ( without IOS or sump ) and he build for me. His workmanship not really good, after recieved the tank i pour in sea water , put in the canister and coral chips. Water go clean and clear in few hours... YEAH!! I DID IT! :thumbdown: so happy... i come to forum and see the pasar malam. Saw a nice bro post, he is selling his nice zoas at a good price. So i contact him and went to his place. Have a chat, and i know from him that a tank need to CYCLE for at least 4 weeks. i only done mine for 2 weeks, cause ah xxxx told me that 2 weeks can liao, just buy the additive from him. Very good one he says. i Cant believe it sia... so i follow what he told me to buy and do. Then i know more things from the bro who sold me his zoas, its like wtf i had done all the things wrong, when ever i change the filter in the canister, i will wet all my living room and the floor got so wet and sticky..

Never give up, i come back to the forum and read most of the post for newbie to start up a new tank, research and ask and ask. i try to do up a IOS in acrylic in my factory but it doesnt not work too. The flow of the water too little, i got too much bubbles to my tank, so i decided to make a new tank. I just collected my tank today, will post some of the photos of it later. really NIGHTMARE if you dont do it right. :cry::sick:

Thanks for sharing, I am sure by joining this forum, you will gain more insights to what is needed for a successful system.

As in all things in life, there are always more than 1 ways to kill the cat thus you need to get to the facts rather than doing what is convenient.

Tank cycling is a must and the only way to know whether your tank is ready is to test the parameters rather than using time as a gauge. For example, some tank may cycle within 2 weeks while some tanks may take longer. However, most will agree that a tank is considered cycled once ANN (Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate) spike is completed.

I am sure you are a better informed reefer after this episode.

:thumbsup:

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381