The newbie is back

Hey bros! After I've failed terribly for my first tank, I've decided to take it slow and doing diligent checks on my little 4 gallon tank. And at least now I've seen some hope!

All my corals looks ok ( to me at least) but there's still a few problems I would like to ask advice on as I cant seem to find them elsewhere online.

1. My pH suddenly dropped to very low levels after introducing a small Xenia and 4 mushrooms into the tank. It is around the region of 7.4-7.6 which is very dangerous IMO.

I saw a 'pH 8.3' bottle product. Will that save my day?

I also heard pH buffer doesnt raise pH too much. Does pH buffer work for me?

I took the measurement when the light is on. I guess it be worse at night.

Any advice on how to raise it up and stabilise it?

2. My Xenia needs major help! They look very sick! Its the 2nd day in the tank thou.

3. I had a 'free frag' (SPS) from a kind bro who sold me some Zoas. Which are doing fine. Do they look alright in the picture?

4. Wierdly, I pluck out some loose GSP and placed it near the bottom of the tank. Turns out that their polyp extension is bigger and nicer than those near the top! Is the reason that the lights are too bright?

post-21346-0-25726700-1336121084_thumb.j

post-21346-0-07712500-1336121110_thumb.j

post-21346-0-60214900-1336121159_thumb.j

post-21346-0-09995200-1336121241_thumb.j

Welcome back to the hobby, i hope i can help you with some of your qns;

1. My pH suddenly dropped to very low levels after introducing a small Xenia and 4 mushrooms into the tank. It is around the region of 7.4-7.6 which is very dangerous IMO.

I saw a 'pH 8.3' bottle product. Will that save my day?

I also heard pH buffer doesnt raise pH too much. Does pH buffer work for me?

I took the measurement when the light is on. I guess it be worse at night.

Any advice on how to raise it up and stabilise it.

- Your PH is too low, which you need to "Buffer" it up. You can use seacherm buffer solution or do a water change. Maybe of the livestock is hidden and rotting in your tank which causes the PH to drop . What test kit are you using ?

2. My Xenia needs major help! They look very sick! Its the 2nd day in the tank thou.

- Observe for another 2 day and if it still didnt seem seem to do well, try to move it in a area with more flow .

3. I had a 'free frag' (SPS) from a kind bro who sold me some Zoas. Which are doing fine. Do they look alright in the picture?

- from the photo, the polyps is opening which mean it is doing well.

4. Wierdly, I pluck out some loose GSP and placed it near the bottom of the tank. Turns out that their polyp extension is bigger and nicer than those near the top! Is the reason that the lights are too bright?

GSP need good lighting and flow, you have to monitor for a few day to observe the different.

Lobster: yeah I tried brushing but it's still there.

Harlequin: I did a 50% water change and I'm reading 8.2 pH for the past 2 days now.

I took out the Xenia as it had melted quite a bit. 2nd casualty after the tank crash.

Now having diatom bloom and praying that it won't affect my corals much. I had another species of gsp with green grass like algae growing on it, almost covering the whole middle mat