almost dead!

RushAct

Hi bros, just wanted to share a few things with you guys today.

Today was just another routine weekend, go out and drink have supper then it started raining heavily.

After the rain i got home and realized my power tripped so i just walk to my store room and turn it back on, feeling my way around taking my time, didnt thot much about it UNTIL I WALKED INTO MY ROOM!

I saw my pair of clown fish "resting" on my sand bed straight away i can tell they were dying!

Thank God i decomm my 4ft tank already, if not i might lose my LS and corals.

From this exp, I realized that having a UPS is very important, esp in large fish tanks.. because you will never know when your power will trip esp at night while youre sleeping.

So for those with large fish tanks, do consider having a UPS for your tanks. Its having to spend a little to save you from heart aches.

I hope im not making myself look silly

PS: my Pair clown fish are doing well now and doing their thing :drunk: and... i not trying to sell any UPS here. haha

• SRC Member

Hi bro, you reckon the power tripped for how long till you reset?

I assumed you staying alone? (from your description).

A good UPS may only have sufficient power to last you max 1 hr, sometimes even much shorter. I have seen huge UPS in server rooms, rated to provide power up to 10 hours. However the size of this unit is as big as a regular 3' tank with cabinet setup. Normally we don't have this luxury, nor pockets deep enough to have this at home, dedicated for our fish tank.

If there is no warning systems (human or via other remote devices), having a UPS can only buy you this much time.

Sorry don't mean to overthrow your theory of the necessity of an UPS, but I feel that the livestocks have the capacity to survive at least 2-4 hrs without electricity to the equipment we have in the aquarium. As long as we can get power back to the system within this time frame, we should not see casualties. So the short supply of electricity an UPS provides is still insufficient if we cannot reset power within the few hours.

My 2 cents.

Hi bro, you reckon the power tripped for how long till you reset?

I assumed you staying alone? (from your description).

A good UPS may only have sufficient power to last you max 1 hr, sometimes even much shorter. I have seen huge UPS in server rooms, rated to provide power up to 10 hours. However the size of this unit is as big as a regular 3' tank with cabinet setup. Normally we don't have this luxury, nor pockets deep enough to have this at home, dedicated for our fish tank.

If there is no warning systems (human or via other remote devices), having a UPS can only buy you this much time.

Sorry don't mean to overthrow your theory of the necessity of an UPS, but I feel that the livestocks have the capacity to survive at least 2-4 hrs without electricity to the equipment we have in the aquarium. As long as we can get power back to the system within this time frame, we should not see casualties. So the short supply of electricity an UPS provides is still insufficient if we cannot reset power within the few hours.

My 2 cents.

No worries man.. thanks for educating me.