How to ID a goby or benny?

• SRC Member

I've seen many similarities between gobies and bennys. So how do I tell the difference? .. :erm:

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member
for instance when it comes to the cleaner wrasse...the false cleaner is a blenny with it's shark like mouth. Upper lip is longer then the lower and where the true cleaner has equal mouth parts. :D Thats just one example. blenny's are a lot sleeker in body shape :D

a lot sleeker? .. I've seen those grey coloured goby which looks exactly like those grey algae blenny.. :erm: ..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

• SRC Member
look at the dorsal(top) fin, if is joint together is a blenny, if is 2 part, 1 front 1 back, is a goby

ah.. nice... thanks..

BTW, I saw my Blenny really violently nib on the rocks. Sometimes even nib on my starfish. To nibble on my starfish I dun mind coz it has quite a hard outer but I wonder if its safe if he starts to nibble on my fishes or shrimp.. :(

• SRC Member

hi arcanehacker,

just to share my experience...

i had a sharp fanged blenny & i do not know for what reason why it went to pick on my red feather star. then it started turning black, & i don't see it anymore... :cry2:

it was originally feeding very well, until i bought the red feather star, which the shopkeeper told me was not prone to be picked on by fishes... :shock:

• SRC Member
hi arcanehacker,

just to share my experience...

i had a sharp fanged blenny & i do not know for what reason why it went to pick on my red feather star. then it started turning black, & i don't see it anymore... :cry2:

it was originally feeding very well, until i bought the red feather star, which the shopkeeper told me was not prone to be picked on by fishes... :shock:

I know which star you talking about. Those stars are very thin and seems vulnerable to attacks. Mine are the thick fat kind of starfishes. I'm not afraid my blenny will eat it. I'm just afraid it will bite the other fishes.. :(

• SRC Member

I know which star you talking about. Those stars are very thin and seems vulnerable to attacks. Mine are the thick fat kind of starfishes. I'm not afraid my blenny will eat it. I'm just afraid it will bite the other fishes.. :(

oh then, i don't think you will get any harrassment from the blennies... :yeah: because mine leave the other fishes alone. (so far) :eyebrow:

My bi-colour blenny will bite my hands when I am doing scaping....I strongly believe it is the reason why my tangs have torn fin everynow and then....saw it going after them...they will be so pissed and really go after the little guy viciously :lol::lol:

• SRC Member
I remember sometime ago, a reefer mentioned that a blenny have a pair of 'antenna' or a short feeler like just in front/between its eyes. My only bicolor blenny have that antenna too.

Maybe you can check yours. :)

oh yah.. so this is a special feature of a blenny?.. :) .. I realised that they even have 'eyelashes' too... :lol:

• SRC Member
My bi-colour blenny will bite my hands when I am doing scaping....I strongly believe it is the reason why my tangs have torn fin everynow and then....saw it going after them...they will be so pissed and really go after the little guy viciously :lol::lol:

does it hurt when it bites you?.. ;) .. Only thing that does that is my fire shrimps.. they like to clean my hands.. :P

they are fin nippers too? or only to certain fishes?.. Mine doesn't attack the lion or the pipes..