firegoby

I've two fire goby, one red and one purple.

Been with me for more than 2 weeks. The red one is quite active, swims around and can the see fin pointing high high at times. During feeding time also come out to eat.

The purple one is hiding 99.9% of the time. Once in a while during feeding time can see it come out of the rock work but did not come and eat. Still surviving now.

Wonder if I should buy a few more so perhaps in a group they feel more secure?

I noticed the red and purple one sleeps together at night.

Best you keep firegoby alone...I tried to keep 2 firegobies before..the one I have with me now slimpy wacked the daylights out of the other one.

Check your specific gravity between your tank's water and that of the bag's water. There might be a big difference. Most people don't bother to do so... Introducing delicate fish from s.g of 1.020 into a tank with s.g of 1.025 without acclimatizing properly can stress a fish too.

Other than the above...i cannot think of another reason why the firegobies are behaving that way... :unsure:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Fish breathing heavily...

if you rule out ammonia poisoning

and rule out heavy metal poisoning

and rule out disease (ich)

and rule out insufficient dissolved oxygen (rare)

and rule out pH problems (since your other fishes are alright)

I can't think of anymore besides trouble with osmoregulation.

Try the firegobies at PR..those are very healthy..get 1 to start off with.

Slowly acclimatize it to your water...replace 20% of the bags water with your tank water. Do it every 15 mins for 1 hour. After that slowly introduce the fish.

If it still breathes heavily then I'm dumbfounded already... :huh:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
element, pls check your water parameters. do confirm this as maybe its due to the water conditions not ok. If the fish is newly bought, do give it some time to stable down.

i believe that the water parameters should be quite ok... the fishes are not new. have been in there for about 1 month plus already. :evil: anyway, its not my tank. keke... :D thanks for all the advice anyway... the fish has since :angel:

piti... :cry2: