Using seawater to cycling new tank

I intend to transfer my live stocks from my existing 1 footer to a new tank. Thinking of buy seawater from fishfarm and just add some of my current water to shorten the cycling process. Any thoughts? What proportion should I use? Many thanks.

• SRC Member

I intend to transfer my live stocks from my existing 1 footer to a new tank. Thinking of buy seawater from fishfarm and just add some of my current water to shorten the cycling process. Any thoughts? What proportion should I use? Many thanks.

proportion is not a concern. Get a good test kit and patient. Use market prawns and wait for result. Cheers

• SRC Member
So I can't transfer my existing livestock immediately to the new tank even with the same bio media or live rocks?

Y not? I do that all the time. The existing microorganism should be able to handle.. just don't introduced too much LR at the same time... just monitor the nh4 n no2 in the first few months. Water change if need to..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

So I can't transfer my existing livestock immediately to the new tank even with the same bio media or live rocks?

If you are transferring your existing bio filter ( live rock , filter media ect.. ) from your old tank to your new tank it is actually ok to do so.

• SRC Member

if you have sand, shifting it to the new tank will require proper cycling because you'd have disturbed it during the move. if just LR and media, should be okay.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Hmm. Cos I am shifting from a small tank 1 feet cube to a 1.5 cube. Here's my plan. Use all my existing water from my 1 feet cube (1/3) (pump all the clear one and leave the LR alone); mix with the NSW (about 2/3); transfer the media and LR over; and finally livestocks (corals and fish) all within one day. What do you guys think?

• SRC Member

No problem.. looks good.

• SRC Member

Great!!