Know More About Your Chiller

skyjuice123

I have some exchanges with someone at the other forum about Peltier and Freon chillers and found that even those experienced reef keepers do not much about chillers. I have just written an article posted in my blog after gathering enough information from the forumers what they know and they do not know about their own aquarium chillers.

Generally, some forumers do not know that Peltier Chiller can also be used for reef keeping; also, they are not familar with the term Coefficient of Performance (COP) to select chillers properly. All they are following are thumb rules pick up from here and there.

Please note that blog writing is just one of my hobby which I started many years ago. I gain nothing by maintaining the blog. Just like to share with some reefers about Peltier and normal freon chillers.

http://skyjuiceiswat...r-chillers.html

If you are "pinched" by ever rising energy cost and want to cut some electricity cost in your home.. there are also articles on how to save up to 90% of your cooling energy bills; for example, spot cooling, ultrasonic humidifier cooling and DIY cooling bed etc

• 2 weeks later...

One of the heat gains of the aquarium is through the glasses which have thickness varies according to the tank capacity. The thickness ranges from 4 mm for a 2 ft tank to about 12 mm for a 6 ft tank. The heat gains or energy losses will vary according to the thickness of the glass; the thicker the glass, the less energy losses. The heat gain through the exposed glasses can be responsible for 50% of the energy losses for a 2 ft to about 19% for a 6 ft tank.

By insulating the tanks with ¼” thick polystyrene foam for all sides except the font viewing panel, as much as 30% of the energy can be saved and hence, the cooling bills. The thicker the insulation, the more the energy or cooling bills will be saved.

Some reefers use foam to mimic the rocks as a backdrop, this will also save energy.

http://skyjuiceiswater.blogspot.sg/2012/12/insulation-for-reef-tanks.html