need help with regards to water level!

Hi all,

i have gotten myself a new 12 gal nano last month and its been cycling for 4 weeks now. i need some help and advice with the water level in the IOS compartment where the return pump is. im using a 800L/Hr atman return pump. I notice that the water level decrease rapidly each day and i have to top up with DI water every three days. i was wondering if it is because of water evapouration? im not using any fan to cool down the water. the salinity remains at a constant. pls advice. thanks!!

• SRC Member

Its due to evaporation... Unless there is a leak which I doubt... U might wanna top up daily or invest in an auto top up system... Small tank evaporation more obvious, more frequent top ups necessary

:: just a noob ::

Hi all,

i have gotten myself a new 12 gal nano last month and its been cycling for 4 weeks now. i need some help and advice with the water level in the IOS compartment where the return pump is. im using a 800L/Hr atman return pump. I notice that the water level decrease rapidly each day and i have to top up with DI water every three days. i was wondering if it is because of water evapouration? im not using any fan to cool down the water. the salinity remains at a constant. pls advice. thanks!!

check your tank placement in the house.

best to choose area that has better air ventilation/ cool area and not near any heat source ( example next to a TV or has direct sun exposure).

agree for smaller tank , evaporation can be obvious.

Check your lighting. T5 can cause more heat than LED.

Topping DI water daily or every 3 days is ok. but check your SG and PH level every week to maintain ideal parameter.

Thank you all for your kind advice. I'm using lumenaqua mini so I guess it doesn't generate alot of heat. Anyway I've gotten myself a chiller so heat shouldn't be an issue. I've made a marking on the glass to monitor the water level. As for now I just top up a few ml every three days.