Thinking of getting a calcium reactor...

• SRC Member

I have been thinking of replacing my dosing pumps with a calcium reactor. My tank is 2 ft cube (abt 60 US gallon?). Any recommended brand or setup for calcium reactor?

My intent is to make the maintenance more hassle free. I am currently using TLF A+B for dosing. Sometimes, I gotta keep testing the water to see which one is actually getting consumed more due to addition of corals and sometimes it caused the parameter a bit unbalanced etc.

Any ideas if I should replace them with the calcium reactor? Looking for a more value for money and long term setup.

• SRC Member

I am using two dosing pumps, but I thought calcium reactor tends to be more stable if it is controlled by a PH controller? Using dosing pump sometimes can go a bit off after a few weeks if I do not monitor the CA and KH level.

• SRC Member

If cash not a problem,why not than you can use dosing pump for other purpose.

Thought it is more costly to pay the upfront cost, I think using a calcium reactor would be similar to using dosing pump in long run. Am I right?

Over the long run the cost can balance out. But as far as hassle free, you've got the reactor to maintain, CO2 bottle and gas to purchase, dialing in the amount of CO2, and managing the low pH of what is coming out of kalk reactor. Here is a good video that might help:

• SRC Member

I used ca reactor for 7 yrs in this hobby then switched to dosing pump, sold it and switched back to ca reactor. I find that ca reactor is more effective for my sps reef tank as it does not only pumps in 3-part solution (kh, ca, mg) but also minerals that the reef needs.

Ca reactor needs initial "tuning" but once you got it running, all you need is topping up of C02 which in my case is about twice a year. It is easier for me to control and measure parameters that I dose in my tank as well.

There is no such thing as maintenance free in this hobby -- dosing pump needs to be maintained as well. Making sure that the peristaltic heads is working properly; there are cases that it gets clogged and stops dosing and/or goes haywire and keeps dosing non-stop. Additionally you have to top-up your 3-part solutions from time to time as well and make sure that the tips of your dosing hoses doesn't crystalize and clog the system.

What made me turn back to ca reactor is the fact that I just does once and I can measure its parameters; it is hard to determine and control how much to pump in your tank using 3-part dosing pump.