True Optic Fibre Not Growing

• SRC Member

How come count in seconds? Blur... If in ml got a shorter method but if urs do in seconds, i suggest stopping dosing for 24hrs and find out how much CA drop by... Example if 24hrs later your CA drop from 411 to 382, u would know that your 140 seconds contributes 14ppt per day... 426 - 411=15ppt (shortfall) 411-382=29 29 - 15(shortfall) =14 Therefore your 140seconds brings CA up by 14 ppt and each seconds brings it up by 0.1 ppt so to cover the shortfall u need to increase ur dose by 150 seconds (15/0.1)... Im exaggerating the figures for easy calculations... Hope it helps... Also interesting to see how fast ur ca is depleting..

:: just a noob ::

• SRC Member

Btw, not sure if u r aware but if u dosing c-balance 2parts it is necessary to dose in equal amounts due to ionic balance or smthg.., If low calcium u should use calcium chloride to just raise Ca... If u increase both dosage just to increase Ca u will increase kh as well.. Lastly u shldnt dose more part a n less part b as it doesnt work that way Just fyi

• SRC Member

Tested it agian. I think I have tested the Mg wrongly in the previous two times bcos the colour can turn blue back to pink after a few seconds using the DD tester.

Mg: 1440

I used hanner checker for the two below.

Ca: 398

Kh: 8

I cannot believe my Ca can be consumed that much. I am dosing A and B equally using marine magic dosing pump. Now it is at 160 seconds at the rate of 0.5ml to 0.6ml per sec. What is eating my calcium.... Should I get a CR instead considering the rate of dosing? A and B solutions aren't that cheap. Any alternative?

• SRC Member

Not familiar w CR but if u are looking at alternatives why not consider mixing ur own ca, kh & mg? Significantly cheaper... Not surprising for high consumption actually, for my other 34l tank i dose almost 30ml per day too... I tot i was the only one... Haha... Anyway since changed to self mix since i make by 10litres stock at home

• SRC Member

Tested it agian. I think I have tested the Mg wrongly in the previous two times bcos the colour can turn blue back to pink after a few seconds using the DD tester.

I cannot believe my Ca can be consumed that much. I am dosing A and B equally using marine magic dosing pump. Now it is at 160 seconds at the rate of 0.5ml to 0.6ml per sec. What is eating my calcium.... Should I get a CR instead considering the rate of dosing? A and B solutions aren't that cheap. Any alternative?

:superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman:

• SRC Member

My 2 x 2 feet x 50cm tank is about 160 liters including sump.

I use this calculator http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html. From yesterday to today, my Ca dropped from 411 to 398 despite I am dosing 160 seconds (abt 80ml) daily.

In order for me to raise 398 to 411 in Ca, I need to dose A part solution for 55ml. Considering that I have been dosing 160 seconds (abt 80ml) of A part solution daily, I am still short of 55ml (110 seconds) of dosing. I think something must be wrong here. Is there any tank problem debugging service?

• SRC Member

Bro. Have test ur dosing pump dosage on s4 speed? Mine s4 speed can only achieve 0.4ml per sec. So 100 second is only 40ml.

C balance 2 parts are super good and alreday have balanced mg and strontium... so I would say no need to add extra.

Based o ur ls. Guess 30-40ml per day is nomal for ur tank.

• SRC Member

My 2 x 2 feet x 50cm tank is about 160 liters including sump.

I use this calculator http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html. From yesterday to today, my Ca dropped from 411 to 398 despite I am dosing 160 seconds (abt 80ml) daily.

In order for me to raise 398 to 411 in Ca, I need to dose A part solution for 55ml. Considering that I have been dosing 160 seconds (abt 80ml) of A part solution daily, I am still short of 55ml (110 seconds) of dosing. I think something must be wrong here. Is there any tank problem debugging service?

Calculater is fine. I would increase test period from 1 day to 5+ day to see the ca consumption. 1 day may not accurate since u add so many additives.

• SRC Member

After listening to Alex, I need to adjust my Ca and Kh balance first. Just side track a bit. I have one SPS from GO, it were growing fine and colour was ok, green and blue tips. After a month, it suddenly lost the colour of blue tips and grows some sort of tumor out from branches. Do anyone know what happen?

post-21462-0-64613100-1361981236_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Ok. I have placed the optic fibre at a different location, but now the polyps are not extending as much as last time. However, I do not observe any tissue lost either.

I bought two frags of pocci and place it at medium and low height in my tank. I observe some loss in tissue at the bottom, but polyps are extending, however, no extending as much as they were in the original tank with a calcium reactor.

My parameters: CA 418, KH 7.4, MG 1350, Saliinity 1.024-5.

Other SPSs are growing normally.

If poly extensions not good can try using amino acid or feed the coral see poly do extend or not. If during feeding don't extend I suggest you take out your coral and dip it with RX see got flat worm or not. If your coral suddenly no poly extensions sometime due to flat worm. Do measurement your No3 make sure it on low side also.

If poly extensions not good can try using amino acid or feed the coral see poly do extend or not. If during feeding don't extend I suggest you take out your coral and dip it with RX see got flat worm or not. If your coral suddenly no poly extensions sometime due to flat worm. Do measurement your No3 make sure it on low side also.

• SRC Member

I think I may have over feed bcos all SPS (not just a particular one) PE are not as much as last time when I fed once a day. Now I feed 3 times a day with more portion. In general, the corals are more brown.

I try to reduce feeding and see if the PE improves in a week.