Clams not opening today.

jquek

Hi people,<br /><br />Something strange is happening to both my maxima and crocea today. Both of them are not opening up. Both have been in the tank for a long time and this has never happened. Nothing has changed in the tank except adding some SPS frags yesterday.<br /><br />Here's how the maxima is looking now:<br />post-2395-13677432466466_thumb.jpg<br /><br />Here you can see a FTS taken yesterday with both clams still opening up nicely:<br />post-2395-13677433136631_thumb.jpg<br /><br />Main parameters have not fluctuated as far as I know. <br /><br />Ca 420-430 ppm<br />Alk 6.7 dkh<br />Ph 8.12<br />Mg 1400 ppm<br />PO4 0 ppm<br />NO3 0 ppm<br /><br />Above parameters were taken yesterday and today except NO3 is taken maybe a few days ago.<br /><br />Anyone has any idea what's happening? And any suggestions what I should do?

Specs

Return pump: 2 x Eheim 1260 (with 1 pumped to chiller before returning to main)
Chiller: Hailea HC-500A (1/2 hp)
Skimmer: Deltec SC2060
Lightings: 8 x 24W ATI Sunpower T5 fixture
Wavemakers: Vortech MP40, MP10, Tunze nanostream 6045
Additives: TLF C-balance (2 parts Ca and Alk) via Kamoer 3 channel dosing pump; Polyp-lab Reef Resh; FM color elements

Check for pyramid snails and pray you do not have them.<br />

<br /><br />Didn't notice any so far, but will continue to keep a lookout. Thanks!

Specs

Additives: TLF C-balance (2 parts Ca and Alk) via Kamoer 3 channel dosing pump; Polyp-lab Reef Resh; FM color elements

• SRC Member

Google mental pinching. And see if kena this disease. I just lost 4 clams in a week...... good luck man.

Crap bro. The freshwater dip didn't help ah.

Google mental pinching. And see if kena this disease. I just lost 4 clams in a week...... good luck man.

<br /><br />Gosh! It might just be pinched mantle disease. Wonder how the PMD causing protozoan got into the system suddenly. Did a water change and added activated carbon yesterday. Will check this evening for any signs of improvement. If no signs of improvement, might try freshwater dip.

Specs

• SRC Member

<br /><br /><br />Crap bro. The freshwater dip didn't help ah.
<br /><br />I did for all clams. But Not helping. Guess too late.<br /><br />

<br /><br />Gosh! It might just be pinched mantle disease. Wonder how the PMD causing protozoan got into the system suddenly. Did a water change and added activated carbon yesterday. Will check this evening for any signs of improvement. If no signs of improvement, might try freshwater dip.
<br /><br />Water change maybe worse. FW dip and carbon is the cure.<br /><br />

:superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman:

<br /><br />I did for all clams. But Not helping. Guess too late.<br /><br /><br /><br />Water change maybe worse. FW dip and carbon is the cure.<br /><br />

Oh, water change may be worse?

Anyway, its a small <10% water change as part of my weekly maintenence routine.

I noticed that the maxima had slighly better mantle extension after I added carbon. Similarly, I see my crocea having some mantle extension (lights are still off) this morning before I left for work.

Specs

Pinched Mantle is caused by a parasite that thrives on iron. Add lots of carbon and remove as much iron-based phosphate removal media if you are using them. Change to alumnium based phosphate remover or non-iron based phosphate removers like goodbyePO4. Cut down on additives that have iron as a component.

Freshwater dips can be performed but do match the pH & temperature of the water. Big clams can be dipped in freshwater for as long as an hour. Smaller clams I would go 30 mins max.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Pinched Mantle is caused by a parasite that thrives on iron. Add lots of carbon and remove as much iron-based phosphate removal media if you are using them. Change to alumnium based phosphate remover or non-iron based phosphate removers like goodbyePO4. Cut down on additives that have iron as a component.

Freshwater dips can be performed but do match the pH & temperature of the water. Big clams can be dipped in freshwater for as long as an hour. Smaller clams I would go 30 mins max.

Good information here and very informative article. Thanks Jun Kai! My clams sure look like they got the pinched mantle disease, though I am not sure why (they have been in the tank for a while and very settled). Anyway, I tried freshwater dip on them yesterday. Unfortunately, my maxima didn't respond well to it and has gone up the lorry. My crocea on the other hand seems to respond more positively by opening up more, though not fully yet. Hope it will get better.

Specs

I started with 4 clams and am down to 1 currently. Here's what happened.

I bought a clam from Sea Life last week and introduced it to my office tank but it died soon after. I then transferred 1 that was doing well for months to my house tank.

My 2 clams in the home tank were doing well for a while but I suddenly lost 1 of them together with the 1 just transferred over from the office over the last 2 days. All 3 (2 from office and 1 at home) showed the mantle retraction. Just last night, I found my hermit crab and cleaner shrimp tearing pieces of flesh from one of the 2 retracted ones. That was when I knew the second one was gone. Now I'm left with 1 healthy specimen. I'm crossing my fingers that nothing will happen to it.

Sad.

Aquarium 3 - 250 liters with sump and refugium

Jebao DC 6000 pump with speed controller

Skimz skimmer

AI Hydra 52 HD

Hailea HS-66A (1/4 hp) chiller

Maxspect Gyre

TLF Phosban reactors with Phosban

Tunze nano osmolator

Marine Magic Triplet Dosing

Aquarium 1 - 27 litres

Atman HF-0600 HOB filter