leaking overflow pipes

dear reefers,

i recently got a new tank with the tank maker doing the pipe work for me. However the overflow pipe at the intersection between the main tank and cabinet where it was siliconed is leaking. It is starting to leak more as the days go by.

May i know if there is any aquarium silicon that i can use without needing it to be very dry that can cure quick because i already have life stocks in it.

dear reefers,

i recently got a new tank with the tank maker doing the pipe work for me. However the overflow pipe at the intersection between the main tank and cabinet where it was siliconed is leaking. It is starting to leak more as the days go by.

May i know if there is any aquarium silicon that i can use without needing it to be very dry that can cure quick because i already have life stocks in it.

Since your tank is new, my advice is better call your tank maker back to seal the leak instead of doing it yourself la.

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

If its at the bottom the overflow compartment, you need not tear down. All you need is to siphon water from the overflow compartment can liao. Unless you do not have a overflow box with your overflow pipe.

If you have a overflow box and the leaking is between the overflow bulk head and the tank, herewith what you do:

1. Siphon water from the overflow box
  2. Remove bulk head
  3. Clean up the area, cut away remnants silicon
  4. Re-apply silicon
  5. Wait for 2 day
  6. Test with some fresh water
  7. Siphon fresh water
  8. Complete

During this 2 days, all you need is to ensure sufficient flow, reduce feeding and lights, install a hang skimmer is available.

Re-sealing your bulk head without dismantling will only cause you to have more problem in the long run. This is because, you will end up covering the entire area of the bulk head with the adhesive making it impossible for you to remove the bulk head in the future.

As mentioned by another bro, you should call your tank maker, most tank maker are happy make good such issue.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381