Preset queries on nano FOWLR

• SRC Member

Good day fellow enthusiast! After the success of my 4x2x2 reef tank, i've been itching to start a 15"x15"x20"h FOWLR tank. Just ordered the tank and hopefully will receive by next week. Now its a head ache on whats best for filtration. Heres a few questions where i hope you guys could help me out.

1) Most FOWLR i see online have simple live rocks where no caves are made. Don't fish need places where they can hide?

2) i have a small cabinet where i will be putting the tank on. In the compartment there is about 1ft of space. Is it possible to design a sump that is that small?

I think your tank is consider nano tank. You should keep peaceful and small fishes. Use small rocks to create small caves and gives more space for fishes to swim.

About your sump, you should get the advice from your tank maker.

• SRC Member

Hello fellow enthusiasts!

I had just set up 3 days ago a 15" x 15" x 23"(h) tank and plans to make it a FOWLR tank.

http://s125.photobucket.com/user/didil25/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140112_072042.jpg.html

Day 1

I put in about 2.5" of Carabsea Black LS, 12 lbs of LR, salinity 1.023. Im using a 130g/hr HOB filter. And i have 2 450g/hr wavemaker, set up as in the picture above.

Day 2

After 24hrs, the water starts to become crystal clear. I decided to put 20ml of API Stress Zyme as indicated. And after reading up about water cycling, i decided to throw in 1 dead market prawn into the tank to speed up cycling process.

Day 3

This morning, i woke up to a very very very cloudy tank. I could see like 'white smoke' circulating in the water. And the stench is "WOW"!

Please help me clear my doubts. =((

Should i be concerned about the cloudy water. Am i doing fine or is there a problem that's causing the cloudy water? Will it go away? Should i remove those dead prawns?

Secondly, where should i place the two wave makers? Are they a good enough flow rate? Am i placing it correctly as in the picture?

Thirdly, i extended the length of the inlet tube of the HOB with a piece of pipe so that it sucks in water from the deeper depth of the tank. Does this have any bad effects to the HOB like slowing it down?

Thanks for your time reading up my post... I hope you guys could really help

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

It's normal to have cloudy water during cycling... It should clear up in a few days time. Let the prawn slow rot and disintegrate... You should have good circulation during cycling but I'm not too sure what kinda LS you'll have after cycling but a moderate flow is normally sufficient.