Return and Overflow Plumbing

Hairul Hakim

• SRC Member

Hi All,

Pretty new to diy section and plumbing overall.
Setting up a 3X1.5X1.8 feet tank soon.
However, tank wasn't predrilled and sump is a 2 X 1 X 1 feet DIY as well.
Using a SKIMZ overflow 2500 for overflow method.

So now the question is...

Im thinking of either gg hard plumbing or soft plumb the return and drop lines.

Leaning more towards hard plumbing as it will look a lot neater.

The drop line from the overflow box is a 1inch PVC.

Planning to use a jebao 3000 l/hr for my return piump , or a Jebao 5000l/hr, which will be linked to a chiller then to return line in DT.

Any idea what dimensions PVC piping should I go for?

Should I follow the size of my overflow box, which is 1 inch?

• SRC Member

Hi exxe,

If you plan to "hard plumb" the return over the rim of your DT, it may result in vibration noise of piping against glass.

Your return PVC size should not be smaller than your return pump outlet nozzle size. Otherwise, flow will be restricted.

There should also be an optimum flow rate for chiller for maximum chilling effect. Too fast, & chiller will not have sufficient time to cool down water as it gets pumped out the other end. Check with your equipment guide or seller.

Cheers,

• SRC Member

Then you'll probably want to get a separate 1200l/hr pump for the chiller.

What's the distance from return pump to top of your DT?

Below is the table of Jebao SP3000 showing what flow you'll get at different height.

http://www.jebao.com/en/displayproduct.html?proID=100988208

• 2 weeks later...

How is your overflow box holding up?

Does bubbles accumulate at the top of the first weir?

For me I use an eheim 1260 with a tee off back to my skimmer section.

Rubber hose from pump up to tee and then hard plumb with hose adapter into chiller and out of chiller. Then hard plumb back to DT.

I don't know if you can understand with my lousy description but No vibration problems so far.

Only sound I hear is occasional water slurping from overflow into sump.

• SRC Member

Yeah my piping is all done up. The only thing that annoys me iss that slurping sound like every 5 mins from my overflow box.

There's air pockets but I'm also using a tom Aqualifter to remove it and that small water pipe goes into my mini fuge for my chaeto so it's actually utilized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk