From freshwater tank to marine

Hey guys, Just joined in and really interested to have a marine tank. My prev aro passed on after years of rearing and it has become such an emotional matter since I was so damn close to it - been keeping aros for almost 20 years... shish I feel old. Im 34 now and finally moving on... My existing custom tank is a 5x2x2 with approx. 10-12mm thk glass and an overflow system with sump. Im going to convert this for marine. I have two light systems mounted above - 2 x T5 and 2 x T8 + Alternative LED (red) - existing. I know I have to change this sooner or later... I've heard Marine = $$$$$$ but after some talks with ppl around and my own homework, its rather easier now with tech avail. My dad use to keep marine when I was young. So firstly, I have to start from scratch... QH rep told me on some start up costs and on their system backed by red sea products.. Im just confused where I should rely on. Ill have to do this piece by piece and no rush for me. Advice for sources?

Hey bro. I too converted from freshwater. Actually if u already have a tank and sump and are willing to continue using that, it will totally be possible (can save some cost too). Just a few additions like a skimmer/refugium/reactors. U should go around to a few marine shops to have a look around and talk to the guys. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Append below are the equipment needed for a marine tank

For 522 Fowler:

One size bigger skimmer than the tank capacity.

U can use your existing light or get decent T5 or Led light set and don use red led light as this will promote agae growth.

Return pump at preferred 4500litre/hr or more.

For 522 reef tank (Probably LPS)

Skimmer as above

6/8x54W T5 or 6/8X80W T5 or 2 set of LED

Chiller (0.5HP) preferred otherwise fans are needed to cool water will result in high water evaporate rate.

Dosing pump/Calcium reactor c/w CO2

Phos reactor (optional depending on bio load)

DI unit for pure distill water to mix salt with no added nutrient(optional)

Return pump at 4500 litre/hr or more.

Wave maker probably needed due to the 5 feet length to create flow.

Hope could help.

understd bro..

Thanks!

every two weeks change water is abt the same I do for my aro.. I use to treat the water separate about a pail and top up to tank at sump.

you will find keeping marine fish more tired as need to change/mix salt water or buy sea water every two weeks, if your tank is big you  need more water change 

hi i got a 7ft tank. Actually alot of pple told me bigger tank dun require as frequent wc than small tank. I dunnoe if its true. I havent change water for like 2 mths.(opps i'm lazy and just order a 200l drum for water change.)my sps r growing very well but i dun noe y some of my lps(about 5%) juz dun make it. I dun really dose anything except calcium. Recently just add in a ultraphos to keep phosphate lower.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DT 7ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft
Sump 4ft x 2ft x 2ft
2 x Jebao Wp60
2 x 5000 GPH Return Pump
1 x Teco Tr20 Chiller
4 x 150w Led Light Set
Np Biopellets

Ultraphos
Bubble Magus C99

Chaeto Refugium

2 x T5

Changing water in Big or small tank depend on bio load. Big tank has the advantage of providing stable perimeter due to volume of water. U mentioned that u only dose calcium and u don incl sodium bicarbonate, u need to check yr KH .

Changing water in Big or small tank depend on bio load. Big tank has the advantage of providing stable perimeter due to volume of water. U mentioned that u only dose calcium and u don incl sodium bicarbonate, u need to check yr KH .

my kh stays at 9 all the while.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

DT 7ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft
Sump 4ft x 2ft x 2ft
2 x Jebao Wp60
2 x 5000 GPH Return Pump
1 x Teco Tr20 Chiller
4 x 150w Led Light Set
Np Biopellets

Ultraphos
Bubble Magus C99

Chaeto Refugium

2 x T5

I only run bio pellets and ultraphos, to keep my no3 po4 low.a BM c99 skimmer and 3 x 150w led lightset which i bought from china. And a wp60 wavemaker. I feed alot at least 3 times a day with pellets coral foods and my diy blends.

DT 7ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft
Sump 4ft x 2ft x 2ft
2 x Jebao Wp60
2 x 5000 GPH Return Pump
1 x Teco Tr20 Chiller
4 x 150w Led Light Set
Np Biopellets

Ultraphos
Bubble Magus C99

Chaeto Refugium

2 x T5

B careful not to intro too much coral food as it may increase yr nutrient in the water. I do not feed my sps dominated tank for 6 yrs n coral still thriving. Yr equipment level seem ok.

ok thanks for the advice. But i got more lps than sps. Shd i try to raise more no3? As right now the no3 is 0(d-d).

DT 7ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft
Sump 4ft x 2ft x 2ft
2 x Jebao Wp60
2 x 5000 GPH Return Pump
1 x Teco Tr20 Chiller
4 x 150w Led Light Set
Np Biopellets

Ultraphos
Bubble Magus C99

Chaeto Refugium

2 x T5

Very little diatom.Jus some green algae on those dead rock. And coralline algae is growing well on LR. Will take note on the kh. But if kh rise how can i lower it?i already remove about 30% of the pellets.

DT 7ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft
Sump 4ft x 2ft x 2ft
2 x Jebao Wp60
2 x 5000 GPH Return Pump
1 x Teco Tr20 Chiller
4 x 150w Led Light Set
Np Biopellets

Ultraphos
Bubble Magus C99

Chaeto Refugium

2 x T5

U did not mentioned any sodium bicarbonate dosing, so yr KH will slowing deplete as consume by yr coral n can never increase. Measure yr KH n dose to maintain at best 9Kh. If KH rise, stop carbonate dosing till reaches the require level . Pls note that at all time not to decrease/increase KH more than 1KH per day.