Why Yellow dun eat seaweed

mine also dun eat :( .... bought my nori from NTUC .. .. anyone know why????

just to share... YT are hungry hippos... they do nothing but eat (non-stop)

1) you can try buying red bamboo macroalgae for them (LFS)... mine whacks out the red bamboo very quickly. (this is food for them when im not @ home)

2) mine also takes "seaweed selects" - nori (transparent box with a sticker label in front). abt $7-8 from LFS (this is placed in tank every morning for their breakfast)

3) Frozen brineshrimps and/or mysis (soaked in garlic guard). (i thaw them in garlic guard + cyclopeeze + tank water abt 10 mins before feeding.)

hope these helps... (im currently using all 3 methods)...

• SRC Member

Hi, can advise how you feed nori ?

My fishes eats them provided I chop it into bit sizes that they can swallow. Too messy as the bits swirls round in the current.

If too long (un-chopped) they dun touch it or have problem breaking them up even though I soaked them with hot water before clipping onto feeding clip for feeding.

Fishes too pampered ? :lol:

Hi, can advise how you feed nori ?

My fishes eats them provided I chop it into bit sizes that they can swallow. Too messy as the bits swirls round in the current.

If too long (un-chopped) they dun touch it or have problem breaking them up even though I soaked them with hot water before clipping onto feeding clip for feeding.

Fishes too pampered ? :lol:

hi nickel..

I've DIYed something like a clip with black netting(those sold in LFS) to hold the nori in place. The clips has a rubber suction cup to hold to the tank.

The nori is then clipped inside the black netting.

Try reborn, they are selling the clip for abt $4 i think.

I usually tear the nori into approx size of 3"x2" then place them into the clip while i go to work, by the time i return, the whole piece would be gone. (assumed eaten up by both my YT and Flame angel)

• SRC Member

Thanks freewill,

Ya, I got one of those clip with netting too. Problem if I dun cut them to small size, the tangs won't eat or problem chewing them as too long. If chpped to small , the netting no use, unless I change it to those of finer netting.

Do you soak the nori till very soft ?

I am using those from market (no-brand) meant for cooking soup. 90 cents per transparent pack inside 2 round-shape, dinner plate sized bundle of nori.

Maybe too cheap and not nice ? :( But has strong nori smell though.

• SRC Member

Ho ya, forgot to mention, I feed them live brine shrimps as special treat when I go market.

All fishes, including my YT, and my seahorses (in their own tank of course) go into a fenzy and chasing/eating the brine shrimp.

I've never tried the market nori... can't really comment on those...

However, i can share my experience with another brand of sea-veggies (supposedly a better brand)... but my YT refuse to eat it... (just took a few bits then left most of it untouched).

yes, mine take brine/mysis as well... but i read somewhere that Tangs are vegetarians by nature... and seaweeds helps them to maintain their good colouration...

Nope, i do not soak them till soft... coz the YT doesn't need to wait till its soft before eating... it just rushes over once i put the nori in.

The seaweed select brand has 4 large rectangular pieces + 2 slightly smaller rectangular pieces. You can try cutting/tearing them into a size which fits exactly into the black netting.

(the above is just my experience... not necessary the only method)