Are my cleaner Shirmps pregnant?

freewill

I have observed one of my cleaner shrimps looked like its pregnant.

There's a green patch of stuff appearing within its shell, right above its hind legs.

sign of pregnancy?

If it is,

i) what are the chances of 'raising up' the babies?

ii) anyhow has any experience of how long it takes before it delivers?

TIA...

no pix, as no DC @ home.

The green stuffs are eggs alright. Many literature mantioned that it is near impossible to raise them in capitivity due to size of fries and their dietary requirements are unknown.

But the good news is that, the eggs are good source of nourishment for your fishes. :-)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

wooo... catch it out lah.. out in nursery and try to raise the fries.. put in main tank surely get eaten... maybe try to feed phyton and rotifiers to the fry try to raise it!! wahh... if sucessful u can sell Cleaner Shrimps already!! :D

Live and Let Live

Saw my cleaner give birth in front of my eyes. Was soo happy and amused. No survivors though. Anyways, congrats.

Wow... its really pregnant.

sigh.. but since its hard to raise, i guess i will just leave it alone...

ryz: to raise the fries... i dunno man... seems like its impossible to raise the fries...

the thought of setting up a temp hatchery gives me headache liao...

hahaha

• SRC Member

think it might be possible to raise the larvae if u use the fish bowl method that i use to raise the sh fries, cos the mesh is small enough to keep the cleaner, pep and camel shrimp larvae in sdie the fish bowl, can try feeding roti to them, think they be able to eat rotis cos rotis smaller then bbs. ;)

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

think it might be possible to raise the larvae if u use the fish bowl method that i use to raise the sh fries, cos the mesh is small enough to keep the cleaner, pep and camel shrimp larvae in sdie the fish bowl, can try feeding roti to them, think they be able to eat rotis cos rotis smaller then bbs. ;)

hmm... so there is a possibility??

sorry bro chinmo, what's a fishbowl method??

maybe you would like to teach me?

becoz if its successful, i can pass ard some cleaner, helping ppl to save $$$... hahaha

btw: what's roti??? the type we eat @ jalan kayu??? keke

• SRC Member

don have to fish bowl in this case, those critters tank, plastic type will do also, jus that u have to drill a big hole, buy mesh that is smller enough to keep the fries in the critter tank, the tank will be in the some or main tank, clean water from main tank is return to thecritter tank, u don have to worrie abt the changing water part. go to sh forum, u can c the pic of fish bowl in Pic of my sh baby. u get the rough idea then.....

jalan kayu roti prata lor.... :lol: no lah it's rotifers... they r even smaller than bbs. :lol:

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

don have to fish bowl in this case, those critters tank, plastic type will do also, jus that u have to drill a big hole, buy mesh that is smller enough to keep the fries in the critter tank, the tank will be in the some or main tank, clean water from main tank is return to thecritter tank, u don have to worrie abt the changing water part. go to sh forum, u can c the pic of fish bowl in Pic of my sh baby. u get the rough idea then.....

jalan kayu roti prata lor.... :lol: no lah it's rotifers... they r even smaller than bbs. :lol:

hi chinmo bro..

thanks so much for your advice... i've seen your thread with the 'temp hatchery'. it seems like a good idea...

probably will try to find some unused acrylics to do up the box... (but catching them out of the main tank is the challenge now...)

once again, thanks to all who replied...