Top surface of water is brown

alvin

My tank is 3ft.

Currently I have 2 wave makers, 1 1000v and the other 2000v.

For awhile now the surface of my water seems to be brown. And when I scoop water out brown algae-ish stuff gets onto my cup and anything in contact. For example certain ends of the tank might have tiny brown bubbles forming.

I understand wave makers get the aeration of the water surface in order to make it more clear. Is my amount enough or is there something I should change.

It is a fowlr tank. All the fishes seems to be doing well. No deaths for the past 1 month. Tank has been running since November.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I believe yr tank without overflow to sump? Try add surface skimmer or setup sump with overflow box. Shld be ok. Cheers

No. Im running on a canister and a hang on protein skimmer.

I believe yr tank without overflow to sump? Try add surface skimmer or setup sump with overflow box. Shld be ok. Cheers

Yes, expected with yr setup. the only way to solve yr issue effectively is to add good surface skimmer or best with overflow box to sump. Protein skimmer and canister itself is not sufficient for surface skimming. Cheers

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

Yes, expected with yr setup. the only way to solve yr issue effectively is to add good surface skimmer or best with overflow box to sump. Protein skimmer and canister itself is not sufficient for surface skimming. Cheers

Ah I get what you mean. Will save up for an overflow box.

Thanks for the tip.

Anyways pointing my wave maker to the top does the trick for now...but will it be harmful for my fishes?

Ah I get what you mean. Will save up for an overflow box.

Thanks for the tip.

Anyways pointing my wave maker to the top does the trick for now...but will it be harmful for my fishes?

pointing WM up will not mitigate in long run. eventually it still come back to some weak corner when the surface protein build up.  Cheers

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

pointing WM up will not mitigate in long run. eventually it still come back to some weak corner when the surface protein build up.  Cheers

Ah I see. Thanks for the info for the overflow box!

Yes I am. I add anti chlorine to my tap water.

try to use ro water instead of dechlorinated water as the di resin in ro will get rid of silictlates. diatomes will not grow without silicates

try to use ro water as the di resin will get rid of silicates.

Noted. Was on a budget for this tank though. But as you know...when time flies...you start getting more equipments. Will check up on ro equipment prices.