Cycling questions

I just did a five gallon water change.. I have to pick up a bigger container from the store when I go tomorrow. Nitrite has been consistently zero now for three days, ammonia has been zero for a week, and nitrate went from a light 20 to a dark ten(since my last test before the water change). When I go to my LFS tomorrow would it be acceptable to get a pair of baby clowns? I have no algae to support snails or crabs even though there's been a rotting shrimp in there for two weeks(maybe due to bio spira?) and then when I get a diatom bloom add some CUC? I'm excited and that worries me. I'm probably rushing... But clownfish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

You clown fish will survive, go for it.
Remember to remove any rotting shrimp in tank once you change water, and slowly acclimatise your fish to the tank. You need a chiller and heater to always keep the water in desired temp.

You clown fish will survive, go for it.
Remember to remove any rotting shrimp in tank once you change water, and slowly acclimatise your fish to the tank. You need a chiller and heater to always keep the water in desired temp.

Will I need a chiller with a thermostat in my room? It's a fairly small room.

• SRC Member

I believe you have 4 Seasons, just note that the ideal temp to keep coral general is about 25 DegC to 27 DegC, keeping fish is about 25 DegC to 28 DegC. If you can 24/7 keep your tank water temp in these ranges, it's fine. Otherwise chiller and heater is likely a must.

I believe you have 4 Seasons, just note that the ideal temp to keep coral general is about 25 DegC to 27 DegC, keeping fish is about 25 DegC to 28 DegC. If you can 24/7 keep your tank water temp in these ranges, it's fine. Otherwise chiller and heater is likely a must.

I do have four seasons. My room is always a constant 72° every season. My heater keeps the water at 80° for cycling. I will decrease the temp tonight to 78°. When I said air-conditioning unit I really meant heater and cooler system. The room has constant temperature monitoring/ adjusting by my thermostat to keep at 72°. The room stays unchanged. If my heater fails then I would need a chiller, but at that point I believe it would already be too late....

• SRC Member

If this is your case, you don't need a chiller but need a heater.
Even if your heater broke down and you discover it within a short time says within a day and replace a new heater, I am quite sure your coral and live stocks will be safe.
I wish Singapore has your kinda weather.. Haha.

• SRC Member

By the way I have good experience in using heater previously, make sure you invest in a good heater, and replace it every 18-24 months or so, failed heater is both dangerous to the fish and you.

If this is your case, you don't need a chiller but need a heater.
Even if your heater broke down and you discover it within a short time says within a day and replace a new heater, I am quite sure your coral and live stocks will be safe.
I wish Singapore has your kinda weather.. Haha.

Oh the weather here is absolutely awful lol. Extreme heat in summer, cold rain in fall, and feet of snow in winter. I just moved to a brick house with an amazing heating/cooling system and great insulation. The house temp never fluctuates. My room is also nowhere near any doors to the outside so that helps.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Cycling takes SOOO much patience!

Just starting (October 2009).

Here is what I have so far:

EQUIPMENT

3x2x2.5 Tank

Tunze Turbelle Stream 6060

Artica 1/4 HP Chiller

Deltec APF600 Skimmer

Dymax 150W Metal Halide