Blue Tangs - Ich

• SRC Member

Hi all,

I have always wanted a blue tang ever since I started reefing. But I'm constantly hearing from reefers that they are Ich Magnets. This is stopping me from getting one as I'm afraid Ich might also wipe out all the existing livestock in my tank. From my understanding, Blue Tangs requires a fairly large tank to prevent them from stressing out which in turn causes them to contract Ich. (Correct me if I'm wrong) So to avoid this problem, I am thinking of buying a small size Blue Tang to put in my tank. I was wondering if that would be advisable? Any advise from the experts? I'm also thinking of adding a Yellow Tang together with a Blue Tang. 

Thank you.

Tank size: 3x1.5x1.5ft 

Livestock: 3 Clowns. 3 Chromis, 2 Bangai and 1 Firefish + CUC

• SRC Member

Hi, can u guarantee ur tank is free of ich anot? if u r afraid of ich, QT the blue tang for at least 2 months with cupramine treatment (given the ich cycle timeframe)..after treatment follow by 1 month of monitoring..good luck yea :)

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• SRC Member
2 hours ago, kenyee said:

Hi, can u guarantee ur tank is free of ich anot? if u r afraid of ich, QT the blue tang for at least 2 months with cupramine treatment (given the ich cycle timeframe)..after treatment follow by 1 month of monitoring..good luck yea :)

No, my tank may still have ich but I don't really see white spots anymore. I had an outbreak earlier this year and all my tangs (1 Kole and 1 Sailfin tang) died. QT is really out of the question as I don't have the space to setup another tank.The best I could do is dip it in cupramine before adding it into the tank. 

• SRC Member
1 hour ago, leong_rei said:

Should be able to put a friend of my have the same tank size as yours he keep 1 year aready no problem if your tank no ich then there will be not a problem make should the tang start eat if start eat ich will not be a problem

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

What was the size of the tang when your friend first bought it? Sadly, my tank had ich once and might still have it. Couldnt fallow it due to space constraint. 

• SRC Member

Having ich is fine as long as its under control..most importantly is the blue tang u get must feed (can feed the ich pellet yea :) )..so far blue tang is known to feed pretty easy..just try it bro..

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• SRC Member

My friend tank got many ich he still put in but he lucky because the tang he buy eat as long tang eat they won't die try buy fish from place that their fish is inside copper tank what I know sealife and ah beng fish tank got copper should be fine

• Like 1

• SRC Member

I have a PT, YT, Sailfin, Blue Tang and a clown tang together. Regardless your tank got ich or not somehow they will eventually show up when you first place them into your aquarium. My advice when it comes to tangs, never get it straight from the batch that just got shipped. Observe and wait come back maybe a few days later or I'll usually come back to the LFS the next following week ? Yes usually most will be sold but somehow there will be a few pcs left, asked if they are eating. Try if possible choose the healthiest and eating one among them. Do frequent water changes instead of heavy medication that stresses the fish even more, heavy feeding with wet food, pellet and veggie to build up immune system. I usually do 2 times wet food consist of Henry's, brine shrimp & mysis mix with coral food. Pellet food from spectrum once a day and veggie nori clip.

• SRC Member
6 hours ago, leong_rei said:

My friend tank got many ich he still put in but he lucky because the tang he buy eat as long tang eat they won't die try buy fish from place that their fish is inside copper tank what I know sealife and ah beng fish tank got copper should be fine

Thank for the advise bro:) I should be getting one from either ah beng or coral farm tomorrow. Hope I will be successful

7 hours ago, kenyee said:

Having ich is fine as long as its under control..most importantly is the blue tang u get must feed (can feed the ich pellet yea :) )..so far blue tang is known to feed pretty easy..just try it bro..

I will give it a shot, will update here if I'm successful. Thank a lot for the advise bro!:)

• SRC Member
4 hours ago, AppleholicKen said:

I have a PT, YT, Sailfin, Blue Tang and a clown tang together. Regardless your tank got ich or not somehow they will eventually show up when you first place them into your aquarium. My advice when it comes to tangs, never get it straight from the batch that just got shipped. Observe and wait come back maybe a few days later or I'll usually come back to the LFS the next following week ? Yes usually most will be sold but somehow there will be a few pcs left, asked if they are eating. Try if possible choose the healthiest and eating one among them. Do frequent water changes instead of heavy medication that stresses the fish even more, heavy feeding with wet food, pellet and veggie to build up immune system. I usually do 2 times wet food consist of Henry's, brine shrimp & mysis mix with coral food. Pellet food from spectrum once a day and veggie nori clip.

Yeah, that's what I heard too! Which was one of the reason why i didnt fallow my tank after the ich outbreak. Oh I see, thanks for the helpful guidelines:) May I know where to get Henry's? How much do they cost?  

• SRC Member
On 12/18/2016 at 0:14 AM, yukok.lim08 said:

I got my BT from CF, after two days got one or two white dot and rub body but still eat like pig. After 1 week it recover and now no issue in my tank. So far CF fish all eat pellet,very easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see, did you keep your BT in an isolation box first to train it to feed? Was wondering if that would be recommend or will this stress it out?