HELP!! Algae growing on Coral!!

• SRC Member

Hi all,

HELP HELP!! My Xenia, Golden Cloves and Zoas haven't been opening up fully for the past 2 days! At closer inspection, I noticed they are covered with a thin film of something like algae. I tired removing them from manually but it didn't work due to the slime of the coral. Is there any other method to get rid of it?? I'm worried if this continues, they might die... Please helpXenia.jpg! Thank you very much!!  

• SRC Member

I experienced something like this before... some kind of brown coral disease... i found an iodine dip to be particularly effective. The corals dont seem to be too bothered with iodine, but it was able to eradicate the disease. I used the Seachem Reef Dip, and as per the instructions painted some pure undiluted reef dip solution onto the affected areas. The brown slime/disease went away within a week. But a dip should work fine too.

You will need to have a way to remove the corals from the tank for the dip though.

• SRC Member
I experienced something like this before... some kind of brown coral disease... i found an iodine dip to be particularly effective. The corals dont seem to be too bothered with iodine, but it was able to eradicate the disease. I used the Seachem Reef Dip, and as per the instructions painted some pure undiluted reef dip solution onto the affected areas. The brown slime/disease went away within a week. But a dip should work fine too.
You will need to have a way to remove the corals from the tank for the dip though.

I see, I will do more research on this disease! Will any other type of dips work?? Thanks a lot for the advise!!

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

only iodine based dips work. another popular one is Lugol's Solution by Kent Marine. But i haven tried that but will work the same too. Iodine based dips are made to counter diseases. Dips like coral RX do not contain iodine and are more for pests.

• SRC Member
only iodine based dips work. another popular one is Lugol's Solution by Kent Marine. But i haven tried that but will work the same too. Iodine based dips are made to counter diseases. Dips like coral RX do not contain iodine and are more for pests.

Just bought one from aquamarin. Hopefully it will work! Thanks a lot!

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• 1 month later...