Lesson learnt

Full Hedge

• SRC Member

I run high alk n high calcium in my tank.  Using tunze osmolator to top off evaporated water with freshwater mixed with sodium bicarbonate. 

Just realised that the ato optical sensor failed due to precipitation. I cleaned the sensor n the ato started filling the tank with the alk solution. End up my tank now has alk of 15 dkh. Which means corals gonna be stressed and i need to clean the optical eye again.

Looking back didnt even pay enough attention to the water level, too busy staring at the acros. Automation has made me complacent.

Step forward is New target parameters are 450ppm calcium n alk 9dkh to reduce precipitation. Unplug ato while cleaning the sensor. N to quit staring at the ssc...

Sharing my experience here, hope you guys can learn from my mistake. 

• SRC Member
I run high alk n high calcium in my tank.  Using tunze osmolator to top off evaporated water with freshwater mixed with sodium bicarbonate. 
Just realised that the ato optical sensor failed due to precipitation. I cleaned the sensor n the ato started filling the tank with the alk solution. End up my tank now has alk of 15 dkh. Which means corals gonna be stressed and i need to clean the optical eye again.
Looking back didnt even pay enough attention to the water level, too busy staring at the acros. Automation has made me complacent.
Step forward is New target parameters are 450ppm calcium n alk 9dkh to reduce precipitation. Unplug ato while cleaning the sensor. N to quit staring at the ssc...
Sharing my experience here, hope you guys can learn from my mistake. 
You should have a back up float switch for Tunze ATO, that doesn't activate too ??

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• SRC Member
6 hours ago, Mike Stone said:

You should have a back up float switch for Tunze ATO, that doesn't activate too ??

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yes but because of the precipitation, the optical sensor failed in the off position not the on position. The redundancy layers are only for ON position.

If the optical eye falsely senses that the water level is high or acceptable there is no redundancy for that.