Reading on salifert testkit...

RAV-65

Hi all,

been using a Salifert testkit for calcium to measure my calcium level. The instructions given was to drop until the pink-red solution becomes clear blue, I realise that by the time the solution was bluish-pink, the reading was 450ppm, and when i continue dripping till clear blue, it was about 480ppm.

Which is the correct reading, the time when it's turing blue or when the solution is totally clear blue? If 480ppm is the correct reading, the problem is, dat was my exact reading one week ago, at 480ppm! Cannot be my tank dun use up calcium right?

Also, I have been using Seachem Reefbuilder to buffer up my kh over the past week and my kh reading is 8.0 last week, this week it was 8.8, also measured using Salifert, does this increase my calcium level...

Experts pls advise...

Vincent Ho :thanks:

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

Not all tanks will consume calcium or kh fast. Only tanks with alot of coralline algae, clams, sps or hard corals will use up calcium very fast.

If you are in one of these categories, then perhaps you might want to check magnesium levels. Low levels inhibit calcium absorbtion. Can also double check with other test kits.

Kh doesn't increase your calcium levels. Its separate yet related. Kh helps to balance your ph so it doesn't swing during lights on and off and allows calcium to be absorbed by the corals. However too high a kh, above 12, and calcium will snow.....ie precipitate.

By the way kalk is not used to raise calcium significantly. Its only used to maintain the cal and dkh levels by providing free ions. It is also good to dose kalk to precipitate phosphates and raise ph.

Not all tanks will consume calcium or kh fast. Only tanks with alot of coralline algae, clams, sps or hard corals will use up calcium very fast.

If you are in one of these categories, then perhaps you might want to check magnesium levels. Low levels inhibit calcium absorbtion. Can also double check with other test kits.

Kh doesn't increase your calcium levels. Its separate yet related. Kh helps to balance your ph so it doesn't swing during lights on and off and allows calcium to be absorbed by the corals. However too high a kh, above 12, and calcium will snow.....ie precipitate.

By the way kalk is not used to raise calcium significantly. Its only used to maintain the cal and dkh levels by providing free ions. It is also good to dose kalk to precipitate phosphates and raise ph.

Hey bro,

if i change water every week, it would help with the magnesium levels rite?

Vincent Ho :thanks:

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg