Can I cut acrylic sheets using a jigsaw?

setiardi

Did some checking and found out routers r the best to cut acrylic sheets especially for the teeth of the overflow. But I got no idea where to get these routers. I intend to get a jigsaw for my wood projects. So can I use a jigsaw with blade use for cutting metals instead?

Intend to build a refugerium. Thks.

Can I cut acrylic sheets using a jigsaw?

Sure, I've used a jig saw when doing my overflow project. I use a course blade (I think it was 12-15 tpi) to cut faster and not generate too much heat.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be, be one.

Marcus Aurelius

So u get to achieve a smooth surface on the edges? Becoz that is main criteria for a strong bond when I glue together.

For big cuts, I use the jigsaw. But for smaller cuts, I just used a acrylic cutter. Either method, still need to sand the edges to obtain a good fit. No shortcuts here.

Marcus Aurelius

Read that you can actually buy a point cutter and heat it to red hot and you can cut the sheet pretty easily. I have not try it yet  :D Let me know if you have success.

Where did you see such a cutter? Sounds interesting.

Marcus Aurelius

• SRC Member

You can get from Art shop. I think there is one at bras basah. Just tell them you need a acrylic cutter. The concept is the same - you need to heat it up so that it can cut faster. but not so good for thicker acrylic.

My 2 cent ...

You can get from Art shop. I think there is one at bras basah.  Just tell them you need a acrylic cutter. The concept is the same - you need to heat it up so that it can cut faster. but not so good for thicker acrylic.

My 2 cent ...

surfedelic - I think the cutter you are referring to is used for styrofoam. To cut acrylic with a heated wire, the heat must be greater than the melting point of the acrylic (I'm gussing it is >80 deg C). IMHO, using the hot wire method for acrylic is possible, but not practical.

By the way, does anyone know of a shop that rents power tools, e.g. jig saws, routers, etc?

Marcus Aurelius