how to prevent common clownfish from fighting?

• SRC Member

Have some problem in my 1.5ft tank.....

Initially there is a tomato clown inside....

Today just add in a common clown and it has been whacking the poor tomato clown ever since.... and also, the common clown is a very aggressive eater although it is barely in the tank for 24 hours!

so i hve no choice but to seperate them.....

How to prevent them from not fighting?

If not, I will need to sell off one of them....

:(

:thanks::bow:

• SRC Member

put the agressive fish in a seperate container but together in the same tank with your tomato for a few days.

but strange to hear that the tomato is bully by the common clown. Is it your clown is much smaller than your common clown.

Also if your common clown is "BIG" is could be a dominant female common clown before introduce to your tank.

Just my thought.

use to keep 7 common clown but reduce to 3 now. but with 1 tomato, 1 alge blwnny, 2 fire goby and 1 mandarin

Regards,

Moxa

• SRC Member

Ok, the common clown will survive in that container? I have poke holes in the container and hopefully this is enough to keep it alive....

How long do i need to put it in the container? 1 week? or more?

ya, the common clown is about 0.5 inch bigger than the tomato clown....

• SRC Member
Ok, the common clown will survive in that container? I have poke holes in the container and hopefully this is enough to keep it alive....

How long do i need to put it in the container? 1 week? or more?

ya, the common clown is about 0.5 inch bigger than the tomato clown....

Hi,

at least for a week or 2. But do remember to feed it. Actually some LFS sells the cylinder floating container (I saw it at Cl*menti Fl*rist and A*uarium)

Dun know how much. Is hang at the top right side entrance of the shop.

This theory is read from one of the thread maybe in other forum. It to force the aggressive fish to tame down and let the new introduce fish familiar with the new tank.

Regards,

Wee Keong

IMO, do consider NOT having different type of clownfish mix together in a small tank, this induce stress to both fishes. Clownfish are territoral, in the wild they will not wonder more than 1 meter from their host(house). So chances of meeting another type is rare, even if they meet, they can always "Siam". But not in your tank :P

Of cos there are people who are successful in keeping different type together without any problem, but some how or rather they will still chase each another, maybe not now, but... :(

• SRC Member

Hi,

Juz to share my current tank pic of clown fishes.

Use to have 7 of them - common clown but give away for adoption to reduce bio load. (with me for at least 5-6 months)

The tomato is the latest member about coming 2 month

regards,

Moxa

post-6-1088920861.jpg