Lighting For Seahorse

chinmo

• SRC Member

Hi Guys!

i'm new to keeping marines, i jus set up this tank, 2ft with coral sand, i'm using corallife 20k lighting. Will the light be too strong for the seahorse? planning to have more macroalage in the tank. pls advice

Thanks!

chinmo :D

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

• SRC Member

how many watts is your lighting? I am using a 36W 50/50 PL light for my 2.5ft SH tank, so far my seahorses look happy with it.

I also don't think 20K is optimum for macroalgae, 6.5-10K is more suitable. 20K (blueish) is good for corals.

• SRC Member

erm... nt 2 sure hw many watts, it's 2ft 20 k corallife. :P heard tat pl lighting is gd for macroalage from u, so went brought one 10k pl today. :D really like the "daylight" effects it produce! :D presently i only have a pc of macroalage in the tank. nid to get some LR to cycle the tank faster! :D

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

• SRC Member

FYI I have no success with macroalgae, esp grapes & feather caulepar. They always died off within days or weeks. Good luck to you :)

I hope you are not ADDING the 10K light to existing 20K. That may be too much light for seahorse's liking.

• SRC Member

Thanks for ur advice real :bow: for the moment my tank only have a bit of LR, macros, will the lighting be too strong for the macros? will take away the 20k when my tank is ready to house seahorses. :D

• SRC Member

I would think that more light is merrier for most macroalgae and plants, with a few exceptions.

Some SH hobbyists suggested that liverocks may not be a good idea for SH tank, bcos SH may get injured/abrasion easily rubbed/scratched against LR.