Advice On Lighting

• SRC Member
I intend to setup a new tank with sump - 24 x 18 x 24 :)

I am keeping LPS coral and intend to use Arcadia Overtank Luminaire with

2 x T5 or T8 and MH 150W . Is this enough ??? :unsure:

Any other better recommend ??? Maybe cheaper :P

Hi Lighthouse 21,

It is a 2ft tank?

I intend to get 1x 150w MH + 2x 15w zoomed actinic blue for my 2ft as well.

I think yours is too much. Then again, it depend on amount of live stock you're keeping. (e.g. corals, invert and fishes)

Btw, where you intend to get those lighting? In fact, I had no idea where to start to?! as most lfs selling sky high prices for their MH :cry:

• SRC Member

It is still betta to hav MH since u have a veri deep tank... it has more punches... suggest u get a chiller ... fans may not be sufficient.... esp if u r facinated with clams,etc....

ur corals wont be suntanned if u hang the luminair n adjust suitable height from the water ( at least 6 inches ) and put corals of less light demanding at the bottom n demanding ones on top....

IMO, I would suggest having a 20,000K MH + 2*6,500K FL or 10,000K/6,500K + 2 * actinic... to hav the best of both world...

If u do not intend to keep SPS, u may opt to get a single hanging MH with 20,000K so that u do away with actinics....

If u wanna get T5 onli... IMO, then might as well take the 3 tubes type at equanature.... cos it has better reflectors, greater light intensity ( tubes close together ) and also has much betta light combi from the twin-fix... :whistle:idea:

It is still betta to hav MH since u have a veri deep tank... it has more punches... suggest u get a chiller ... fans may not be sufficient.... esp if u r facinated with clams,etc....

ur corals wont be suntanned if u hang the luminair n adjust suitable height from the water ( at least 6 inches ) and put corals of less light demanding at the bottom n demanding ones on top....

IMO, I would suggest having a 20,000K MH + 2*6,500K FL or 10,000K/6,500K + 2 * actinic... to hav the best of both world...

If u do not intend to keep SPS, u may opt to get a single hanging MH with 20,000K so that u do away with actinics....

If u wanna get T5 onli... IMO, then might as well take the 3 tubes type at equanature.... cos it has better reflectors, greater light intensity ( tubes close together ) and also has much betta light combi from the twin-fix... :whistle:idea:

:thanks: for the advice man ... Me quite new and u mentions the 3 tube type ???

Wat is the brand ????? :P

• SRC Member
I intend to setup a new tank with sump - 24 x 18 x 24 :)

I am keeping LPS coral and intend to use Arcadia Overtank Luminaire with

2 x T5 or T8 and MH 150W . Is this enough ??? :unsure:

Any other better recommend ??? Maybe cheaper :P

Hi,

personally I would recommend you upsize your tank to a 3ftx1.5ftx2ft. Its only 1 ft difference but it allow more room for mistakes.

Additionally, the light combo you chose is excellent. You will be able to keep anything you want provided you manage to keep the temp between 26 to 29degrees. Which is quite unlikely due to the fact that you are using MH.

Fans will help but in a 2ft tank, you will find your water evaporating much too fast to maintain a healthy balanced system.

If you can afford it, I would strongly recommend you get a chiller. Go for an overratted chiller meant for a 4ft. ie 1/2 horsepower so you can still use it next time when you upgrade to a bigger tank. A reef relief is a good choice.

If you really want to remain on fans, the only option is either go for T5x2 (limited coral choice...ie no corals with strong lighting requirements, eg clams) or upgrade to a 3ft tank (has more volume for evaporation and topup) with 4 fans.