Help on "Sump/EOS" for 2ft Nano

dkk08

• SRC Member

Hi guys, my current 2'x1'x1.2' nano tank has been running for 3mths plus now but somehow I feel that its still not up to "standard"... as in I feel that I'm not providing enough filtration for the tank... its technical specs as follows:

Tank: 2'x1'x1.2'

Filtration: HOB

Skimmer: Nil

Lighting: 1x55w PLL & 2 x 30w Marine L (1 blue 1 white)

I've quite a heavy bioload in my tank and I've been looking at all the available skimmers in the market that caters for nano tank but still feels that its not enough... as some of u might know I've a huge space constraints, hence I'm unable to get a big skimmer or provide a similarly sized sump for it... I've only a space of 9"x30cmx1.2'(H) space to work with right beside the tank (which is on a Ikea shelf) so I was thinking of constructing a "Sump/EOS" for it... any ideas on how I shld go abt doing it?

I was thinking of 3 compartments, 1st compartment in front will be the skimmer and return outlet, 2nd will be a refugium, 3rd and last compartment at the back will be bio filter... will it work? As for the skimmer I was thinking of getting the Jebo Hang on filter ###### skimmer as I'm low on budget or is there any other skimmer I can use? Any suggestions and advise will be greatly appreciated B):D

“Frogs have it easy, they can eat what bugs them”

"If you have no critics you'll likely have no success."

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

• SRC Member

"not enough filtration for the tank" <--- the only thing u need to filter out is the waste food, and the waste of the livestocks, only a skimmer can do that.

Waste also contribute to increase of nitrates, the most natural way to export nirtate out of ur tank is to get marco algae to feed on them.

With these two issuse covered, the only thing thats not covered is a "surfface" skim. which is normally done when u have a "overflow" tank. but this can b somesort of countered by making sure the surface of the water is always moving - make waves :P

i suggest, get a Redsea Prizm Skimmer, and a hangonback filter - empty it and fill it with marco algae.. then fix a light on it.

• SRC Member
"not enough filtration for the tank" <--- the only thing u need to filter out is the waste food, and the waste of the livestocks, only a skimmer can do that.

Waste also contribute to increase of nitrates, the most natural way to export nirtate out of ur tank is to get marco algae to feed on them.

With these two issuse covered, the only thing thats not covered is a "surfface" skim. which is normally done when u have a "overflow" tank. but this can b somesort of countered by making sure the surface of the water is always moving - make waves :P

i suggest, get a Redsea Prizm Skimmer, and a hangonback filter - empty it and fill it with marco algae.. then fix a light on it.

Hi Hobbes, thanks for the quick reply

Was thinking of a skimmer but can't decide on which one, plus the space constraint that I've

With these two issuse covered, the only thing thats not covered is a "surfface" skim. which is normally done when u have a "overflow" tank. but this can b somesort of countered by making sure the surface of the water is always moving - make waves

I actually do have macro algae in the tank itself, got 2 fist size rock of them... and as for the moving water surface I think my hang on filter took care of that...

Redsea Prizm skimmer if I'm not wrong, I was quoted $190 at C328 last nite... or shld I just construct another compartment and use it as a refugium/skimmer/filtration area?

“Frogs have it easy, they can eat what bugs them”

"If you have no critics you'll likely have no success."

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond