My Custom 2.7 feet closed system

iantoh

• SRC Member

hi there travvy and nicholas_yeo,

thanks for posting in my thread. haha. long time since its been active.

travvy: i know what you mean. its a really expensive hobby and i'm already feeling the pinch from having had to buy the new tank system and pay half for the beckett, but i hope this will be the last time i have to upgrade.

nicholas: my low flow system brings along alot of problems as well la. i love gonios, so wanted to try a gonio system, hence the low flow design, but i made several big mistakes in the first three months, one of which was feeding up to 50ml of live phyto (nanno) a day. that was way too much for such a small system and low flow, and phosphates, as youd expect, rose, which i had to spend lots on rowa and phosguard to get rid off. ive also had to do surface sandbed vacumming about once a wk- to get rid of diatom carpets as i foolishly neglected to do the vinegar test on the sand i bought, and so, had silicates leeching out of the sandbed continually. i like macro algaes too, so my sailfin basically ate all day and shat all day, and grew alot which wasnt good. hence my decision to redo my system as since ive started work, ive had very little time to tend to the tank.

as for supplemental routines, i dose reefbuilder and reefcomplete daily for alk and ca. this is done through a dripping tupperware box. for the first three months, i also dosed about 30-50ml of live phyto (nanno) per day, which was a big mistake in a low flow DSB system. ah well, that was a learning lesson. my tubeworms and coco worms grew profusely because of the feedings though, so some good came of it.

with my new system, i'm going for a high flow BB to allow to my sps to have better polyp extension. i had to place two powerheads into my system to have sufficient flow for my sps, and that was ugly, and not suited for my tank as my overflow couldnt drain water in quickly enough. hopefully my new tank solves these issues.

how are your gonios doing? pls do share some pics as i'm always keen to see gonios.

cheers,

ian

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic