Anyone Using 3 Feet Tank With 6mm Glass

• SRC Member

The more important consideration is the height and width of tank. I agree with bro reefer guy that DSB spread the force and and LR exert a downward dead force. If you support the base with a flat platform, as on a cabinet, a wrought-iron stand with a thick plywood between the foam and stand, 8mm glass base should be sufficient provided not too much LR. Anyway, FW tanks also have thick sand base and sculpturing/deco in them.

However, as for sides, because normally 3-4ft tank only 1.5ft high/width, don't think SW at 1.024 SG compared to water will make a lot of difference, as less 3" DSB and top of tank, you probable left with not more than 12" of SW. Again workmanship is important here.

I think the danger is if you do not arrange the LR carefully and it fell over. Then any glass will also be in danger of cracking.

I am on 4x1.5x1.5 IOS tank with 6mm side and 8mm base. My identical FW tank, probably weight as much with cover, rocks, landscape, plants and all and been there for 4 years !

Just sharing my personal experience. Motto is : always be careful when dealing with material breakable, no matter what thickness.