any calcium monitor user

Wuki

• SRC Member

My comments:

1) Need to calibrate everytime you use it even though the probe is stored in its original housing with calibration solution in upright position.

2) If place in the tank or sump for continuously monitoring then it has to place in a low flow area otherwisethe reading keeps fluctuating.

My recommendation:

1) If you have more than 3 tanks and has a deep pocket than buy it as the trouble taken to calibrate everytime is worth than counting the number of drops with the test kit.

2) If you are ony have 1 tank then better count the drops and spend the $400+ on other equipment.

My 3 cts.

aquatronica7na.gif

People Will Forget What You Said.

People Will Forget What You Did.

But People Will Never Forget,

How You Make Them Feel.

The pin-point Ca monitor uses ISE which is very unstable especially for the particular application of monitoring Ca in a enviroment with a lot of interferring ions.

You could try by dipping the probe into a small container with water from your main tank, take the reading. Then dip it in freshwater, take the reading, then repeat it all over again for a few times.

The error margin is too big and not good enough to know if the CR needs to be tune up or down as in real life situation the kH would be fluctuating too much.

My advise, to totally skip it. Not all electronic garget are accurate enuff to be used in the reef tank.

• SRC Member

IMHO, the variance from this equipment is acceptable as it is about 10ppm to 20ppm depending on which of the three test kits is used to authenticate the accuracy.

Quite satisfied with it as I don't expect it to perform like a lab-grade unit but at least it save one the hassle of counting the drops.

Test kits used for authentication:

post-14-1128501992.jpg

aquatronica7na.gif

How You Make Them Feel.

10-20ppm difference in the Ca reading might seems small to you. However if you're not aware that translates to a 1.4 to 2.8dkh changes in kH.

Most of us would try to keep the kh within a stable limit probably less than +/-0.5dkh but if we were to use your method to measure the Ca then how do you know if the calcification rate has changed or if one should retune his CR.

By using a kH test kit (if you're running a CR) would be the right way to check if you should retune your CR.

BTW tropic Marin CR test kit don't requires you to count drop. Just reads off the syringe.

• SRC Member

Whoa .. thanks for the sharing the info regarding the difference equating to kH and afterall mine is just a "rojak" reef tank of LPS n softies which can tolerate such variances. ;)

Anyway without Reef Maniacs's customized CR, I doubt the tank can attain a level of consistent Ca level of 450ppm with 9.28kH and min pH fluctuation resulting in a healthy environment to my 8 Tangs and 15 Anthias in the 6ft tank.

aquatronica7na.gif

How You Make Them Feel.

Whoa .. thanks for the sharing the info regarding the difference equating to kH and afterall mine is just a "rojak" reef tank of LPS n softies which can tolerate such variances. ;)

Anyway without Reef Maniacs's customized CR, I doubt the tank can attain a level of consistent Ca level of 450ppm with 9.28kH and min pH fluctuation resulting in a healthy environment to my 8 Tangs and 15 Anthias in the 6ft tank.

Eh bro you using calcium meter ah? how come got .28 dkh one ;)

Let's wait for him to clarify, maybe a typo. Low resolution normally requires you to multiply the results.

In that case he reads 4.64dk?

nim, mind telling me if your Ca ISE shows you 450ppm results everytime you do measurement? Wow if that's true then probably a lot of analytical instruments manufacturer will want to buy over the manufacturing technique of the pin-point Ca ISE :P

• SRC Member

If my memory doesn't fails me, I think the calculation is (1-0.71) x 16 = 4.64 x 2 = 9.28 :lol:

Basing on records, the lowest n highest readings for CA over a 6 months period ranges from 400 to 525 ppm and with calibration everytime before taking the readings. :)

So are these readings ok? ;)

aquatronica7na.gif

How You Make Them Feel.

You're taking an average of 6 months reading.

Okie give you benefit of doubt that the Ca levels in your tank is really stable at 450ppm.

So that means the accuracy is no better than +/-50ppm.

No thanks man, pay so much yet get so inconsistant results. My cheap salifert test kit can certainly do much better results and I don't have to count the no. of drops.

Sometimes if you want to recommend something also must see the equipments. Like I said, doesn't meant all electronic stuffs must be good.

• SRC Member

Bro Weileong or Losmandy

Don't put words into my mouth as I don't recommend any reefers to buy this PinPoint Calcium Monitor as my recommendations are as follows:

QUOTE:

1) If you have more than 3 tanks and has a deep pocket than buy it as the trouble taken to calibrate everytime is worth than counting the number of drops with the test kit.

2) If you are ony have 1 tank then better count the drops and spend the $400+ on other equipment. UNQUOTE

The word here is "IF" .....

Anyway I have no obligation to reply you but just want to set the record straight. :)

aquatronica7na.gif

How You Make Them Feel.

I don't put words into other pple's mouth.

I read it as you recommend reefers to buy it and despite the trouble needed to calibrate everytime before measurement.

This means it gives acceptable results, if not why in the first place you recommend other reefers to buy it?

Maybe my english too lousy and cannot understand your sentence. Care to explain in details?

The fact is that this Ca monitor does not give reliable results and +/- 50ppm (based on your feedback) is too big a fluctuation, let me ask you everytime you do a measurement you'll be wondering what's your actual Ca levels.

The life span of the probe is also short and the replacement cost of the probe is about 80-90% the price of buying a new one.

So conclusion, you don't recommend tihs Ca monitor at all because of the poor results and I apologise if we have any misunderstanding.